Google Operating System

Well Win7 is basically here now and Google isnt, but its really hard to tell what 2010 will bring. I'd agree that the odds are less than 50%, but they're not zero...

Ed

Netbooks Targeted

Yeah, Google is targeting netbooks (going up against XP and linux) so they should give much challenge to the bells and whistles of Win 7 (although Win7 Basic should probably do OK on netbooks too).

I've only had a passive interest in this "Cloud Computing" thing since I first started hearing about it. The idea of using software and storing data on a server somewhere other than my house just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'd be afraid of hackers, server crashes and inept people being in charge of keeping my s*** safe.

Now they're going to offer a free operating system based on these principles. Am I missing something? What's the draw here? Somebody must be doing it.

Can yall help me out here? I don't get it.

Last edited:
Should be interesting. I wonder when people will start to bash google for taking over the internet. :)

Hi all
Actually I think if you look more deeply into this issue I think it looks like Google will want to get more involved with "Cloud Computing".

With high speed always on Internet connections all you theoretically need on a computer as an OS is just basically an Internet Browser which can connect to the appropriate server and run your applications, drivers for screens, local printers and some local storage. The OS would be far simply than Windows 7 assuming all the add ins to the browser were available so there's no reason why Google (or Fred and his dog under the railway arches) couldn't do it.

My MOBO actually has a small browser built in to its BIOS -- you can download updates and patch the BIOS without even booting the the OS (Windows / Linux).

The modern business model is going to be about pay by access unfortunately -- it's beginning already to trickle through as daily newspapers are charging more and more for some or "premium" content access. The same is true with a lot of libraries and decent scientific databases which used to be free.

Some local computing will always be required for specialized processing but for a HUGE majority of users the Cloud could actually work provided "Corporate Greed" doesn't price the model off the face of the planet -- no more worry about apps to install, correct versions etc etc.

Security could be a problem here but I'm sure that will be solved as well. Incidentally one of the "benefits" (??) of the Cloud is that it would be very easy to stop Torrent downloads etc since unless your browser had the P2P application built in you couldn't get access to the files.

Once I see the music industry pushing "Cloud Computing" I'll know what they are after -- but thats another topic.

Cheers
jimbo

Last edited:
Hey stueycaster,

This ste may help you better understand it.

Giz Explains: What the Hell's Google Chrome OS?

BTW, congrats on your senior membership!
Thanks reghakr for the congrats and the info. I really like this forum and plan to keep coming here.

I'm still skeptical about the idea of the Google O/S but I'm obviously going to have to really check into it now since the O/S is the next stage. I really try to stay open minded about everything and maybe I'll find a reason to like it. Who knows maybe it'll end up on my system as a dual boot or something. We'll see.

Uhm, it is like, still in beta smartypants. :) What did you expect when you downloaded it, I bet when Google is done with it, you won't be able to find bugs. (With their huge group of (free) testers lol they're so smart...
icon11.gif
)

Google Chrome OS will run on both x86 as well as ARM chips and we are working with multiple OEMs to bring a number of netbooks to market next year. The software architecture is simple Google Chrome running within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel.

Back
Top Bottom