Graphics card not found after W7 reinstall

Hi,

I have just reinstalled windows 7 on my Sony Vaio VGN-FZ21E. Since the install my Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT graphics card is not detected.

I cannot see it in device manager and when I try to install the Nvidia drivers, it says there was no card detected.

It has worked fine for 2 years until the Windows 7 reinstall.

*I have a dual boot system with Ubuntu and Ubuntu detects the card just fine.

Can anyone help?

Bill2

Have you installed the chipset drivers for your mobo?

If answer to above question is yes, try running WEI to see if it detects the card.

I installed them but the card still doesn't appear in Device manager. In WEI next to Graphics it reads: Desktop performance for windows Aero. Gaming Graphics: 3D business and graphics gaming performance.

But when I open a game that requires 3D acceleration I get an error: cannot find Direct3D hardware acceleration on your primary display device.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Hi,

I have just reinstalled windows 7 on my Sony Vaio VGN-FZ21E. Since the install my Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT graphics card is not detected.

I cannot see it in device manager and when I try to install the Nvidia drivers, it says there was no card detected.

It has worked fine for 2 years until the Windows 7 reinstall.

*I have a dual boot system with Ubuntu and Ubuntu detects the card just fine.

Can anyone help?
Try the drivers found on the laptops manufacturers website.

I installed the driver and it works, thanks!

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Great news, glad to help.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.