Windows changed the drive numbers (DISK0/DISK1) after Win11 update

Rockel83

I'm having an HP-laptop for a couple of years now, containing an m.2 (OS) and a separate SSD HDD.

The m.2 is ofcourse containing the C: drive, it should be the first drive and therefore always was "Disk0". The HDD always was "Disk1".
But I've cleaned up everything this week, by reverting back to a clean install. Took the opportunity to upgrade to the offered win11 upgrade.

But after updating to Win11, I've noticed that my drive letters were switched over. DISK0 became DISK1 and visa versa.
So I've tried it over, going back to a clean install of Win10 by going back to the original image and checked everything to be sure.

On the original image everything looks fine, just as it always was:

r/WindowsHelp - Windows changed the drive numbers (DISK0/DISK1) after Win11 update

But after upgrading to Win11, all is turned around again:

r/WindowsHelp - Windows changed the drive numbers (DISK0/DISK1) after Win11 update

When I boot up the system with other disk tools or OS, everything seems te be "normal" again. So it seems to be something in Windows itself?

I know that the assigned disk numbers are not much of an importance here, because it's just an assigned ID number. But I would like to get it back to "normal" again, before making a new image of my new configuration.

I've tried to search for it on Google, but only find articles about drive letters or taking out/disconnecting hardware to get the drive numbers assigned.
But since Windows managed to change it software wise, I guess it would be possible to change it back again.

Anyone has any ideas about that?

It seems like the drive numbers have been switched after upgrading to Windows 11. This can happen sometimes during an OS update, and it's not uncommon. However, it's possible to change the drive numbers back to their original state.

Here are the steps you can follow to change the drive numbers in Windows 11:

1. Press the "Windows" key and "X" key simultaneously to open the "Power User" menu.
2. Select "Disk Management" from the menu. This will display all the storage devices connected to your PC.
3. You will see a list of all the disks connected to your system. Right-click on the drive that you want to change the number of, and select "Properties" from the context menu.
4. In the "Properties" window, click on the "Volumes" tab.
5. You will see an option that says "Disk Number". Click on the "Change" button next to it.
6. In the "Change Drive Letter and Paths" window, click on the "Change" button next to "Disk number", then select the number you want to assign to the drive.
7. Click "OK" to save the changes.

Repeat these steps for the other disk to assign the original numbers.

It's important to note that changing the disk numbers may cause issues with some software that relies on the old disk numbers, although it's not common.

I hope this helps!

Back