Windows 7 Green screen ? (Corrupted screen in particular games)

amel_mastema

Hello, thank you for reading.

Whats been recently tried :
Updated BIOS.
Tried Guru3d.com display adapter driver 186.08
Tried Nvidia's 3 versions for Windows 7 (And prior to the RC release I tried some vista display drivers too which worked just as well/bad)
Extensive Compatability mode testing

Problem :
I have a distinct issue with a two Bethesda games, The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion and Call of Cthulhu. Cthulhu may crash at any time, but in rare cases almost freezes, sound stutters but goes on, it displays a static corrupted screen with squares that have a pattern that go in a zig-zag manner.

Oblivion will also sometimes, everything from 5-30 minutes of game play display the exact same type of corrupted screen if I use HDR Lighting or Anti-Aliasing. If I just use Bloom Lighting it can go hours before it occours.

When this usually dominantly green corrupted screen appear a reset is needed to get control over the computer as it will not respond, only continue playing the music with slight stutter.

Please help if you can :)

Code:
[B]My specs[/B]
Build: [B]7100 64-bit[/B]
Case: [B]Cooler Master  HAF 932[/B]
Power: [B]Corsair Powersupply 750W Black, ATX Bulk[/B]
Mainboard: [B]DFI LanParty DK X58-T3eH6[/B]
Memory: [B]Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 6GB CL9[/B]
Processor: [B]Intel Core? i7 Quad Processor i7-920[/B]
Display Adapter: [B]XFX GeForce GTX 260 896MB PhysX CUDA[/B]
Optical: [B]Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-7200S[/B]
HD: [B]Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB[/B]
P.S.
I should mention that GTA 4, and Empire: Total War works flawless, but I was never a real fan.

P.S. P.S.
Fallout 3 freezes also btw. but it has no screen corruption and music freezes there too, and I saw quite a few other posts about it, so that's for another thread.

Last edited:
This is not an additional problem as far as I'm concerned, my issue is still the "corrupted screen" in two games I have found, Oblivion and Call of Cthulhu. I could try and take a picture of the "corrupted screen" with my cell phone and post, really just looks crazy, static rectangular squares distincted by colour and shade with a zig zag chance rainbow pattern repeated randomly through the screen. very disco.

Almost reminds me of the computers pre year 2k with IRQ conflicts.

I noticed a strange situation that only occours after these freezing "corrupted screen" episodes. (I called them green-screen in last post, but they display more colour variation now). It does not always follow the "corrupted screen" but it never happenes without this exact malfunction preceeding and forcing me to reboot the machine manually.

Upon restart it says USB device not recognized, but all my USB devices work flawless as far as I know. This part is much easier to screenshot, so I'll do it :p

Link Removed due to 404 Error

P.S. from testing fallout 3 with the newest patch it actually seems to work without problems for me, even in the crash-proned washington district.

Last edited:
fallout 3 also presents this "corrupted screen" if I go anywhere near the oasis.

So 3 games may crash the computer and force a manual reboot. does anyone please have any suggestions about what to try next ?

I might have to go back to xp, at least things work there

here is a screen taken by my phone. it can be any colour variation, but this pattern is consistant.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

please help!

thank you sir.

It is a new factory computer. it did this before it had the chance to dust up. Only been 2 months out of its box. A good tip, but it did not help sadly.

I have tried the 186.18. the accelator is better I might think, but it still does the same corrupted screen sometimes. If I use hdr and anti-aliasing in oasis or tranquility lane in fallout 3 for example, it only takes a few seconds before it goes boom. elsewhere in fallout, never happens. If it was only that game, no problem, but most of my games do this.

Back