Windows 7 Hard Drive Volumes

Rus

In Disk Management I have three volumes:
9.11gb Healthy (Active Recovery Partition) 100% Free
50.89gb NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) 40 % Free
14.53gb Healthy (Primary Partition) 100% Free
What are each and do I need all of them??? Thanks.

169 views and no ideas??? I deleted the primary partition and added it to my Healthy NTFS partition. So far nothing bad has happened.

Can you post a screen shot of you disk management window. Next question; is this a retail branded PC...ie HP, Dell.

moz-screenshot.png
I'm not sure if I did this right.

No...to add a picture, click the "go advance" tab next to post quick reply. Then click the attachment icon (paper clip) and follow the prompts.

when you click the paper clip and window pops up, here are some screen shots.

Link Removed due to 404 ErrorLink Removed due to 404 ErrorLink Removed due to 404 Error

when you click the paper clip and window pops up, here are some screen shots.

Link Removed due to 404 ErrorLink Removed due to 404 ErrorLink Removed due to 404 Error

I can get to the paper clip screen but how do I copy and paste a picture of my disk management screen showing the volumes???

I truly appreciate your attempt to help me but all this is way over my head. Thanks though.

Is this a brand name PC like Dell, HP and Sony? Is this a laptop or desktop?

Normally in any PC (retail - store bought), you have a primary C: drive and D: drive where hidden recovery OS is located. This gives the owner 2 options to restore the PC to factory new condition - the day it was taken/opened out of the box. One is using the recovery partition (D: drive) and the other is using the recovery disc's the new owners make.

One should really not move partitions around - adding or making new partitions, if one is unsure of what they are doing. This can lead to a botched up OS. Then you would need to re-install the OS using the above 2 mentioned methods to restore the PC to it's original state

Toshiba laptop Satellite L755-S5350 with these three volumes:

9.11gb Healthy (Active Recovery Partition) 100% Free

50.89gb NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) 40 % Free

14.53gb Healthy (Primary Partition) 100% Free

Last edited by a moderator:
If your Toshiba is anything like my Samsung laptop...they usually set up the hard drives in some weird way in the first place. I remember when I started my laptop for the first time, it asked me if I wanted to partition the hard drive in some weird way...I just said no and used my entire hard drive as the primary C: drive.

As long as you have your recovery partition (usually the D: drive) that has the OS stored there and made your recovery disc's; not matter what you do to it...you can restore it to it's original state from the factory. It's all a learning curve.

I did make an original set of recovery discs as well as burning a set of image discs using the Win 7 system image feature but since I don't need any more space on my C drive I'll leave the 9.11 gb partition alone. I can always delete it and add it to my C volume if I ever need the space.

When you make a screenshot, open the PAINT program and click on 'Paste" (top left in the Paint window). Then you can save that picture.

Btw: the partition you deleted may have been part of recovery. If it says 100% free, that does not really mean that it is free. It may have been full of hidden files. Did you ever open that partition and unhide the files? Deleting partitions where you don't know what they are is not a good practice.

Back