Has anyone else had any problems with newsgroup servers?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Networking' started by Todd, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Todd

Todd New Member

I can't figure out why, but when I'm running Window 7 I get constant authentication/hanging errors to my news server regardless of which client I use. This doesn't happen in XP or in Vista. I've reformatted and installed the last two builds of Windows 7 and they both do the same thing.

Has something changed with the way networking works that might be causing this? It's the weirdest thing.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

2. Todd

Todd New Member

I fixed the problem. It was the "auto-tuning" of the network feature. Once I disabled it, everything worked fine!

3. doomer

doomer New Member

Thanks for the tip. I have had similar problems. I can connect but often revieve errors regarding exceeding the maximum connections or the transfer speed will spike at first and quickly drop to zero. I tried the4 suggestion above but had no success. Did you disable the auto tuning feature from the command line using this? :

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

or was there another approach?

D

4. Todd

Todd New Member

That's exactly what I did, and it fixed my problem. Which client and isp do you use? I am using Astraweb and Altopia. Both had the same problem before, both work now....

5. doomer

doomer New Member

I'm using giganews and newsleecher. Interesting enough, I eventually wound up uninstalling Kaspersky Anti-Virus and suddenly my problem went away. I had previously disabled each Kaspersky tool (AV, firewall,etc.) with no change. It wasn't until I removed it completely that it corrected the issue.

And subsequent reinstallation of Kaspersky suceeded without a return of the issue, weird. At least I'm back up and running... for the moment. No complaints here, since both W7 and the Kaspersky are betas anyway.

-D

6. Todd

Todd New Member

That's interesting. Who knows? That's the nature of beta software I suppose! Glad you got it fixed. :)