Windows 7 Has anyone else had any problems with newsgroup servers?

Todd

I can't figure out why, but when I'm running Window 7 I get constant authentication/hanging errors to my news server regardless of which client I use. This doesn't happen in XP or in Vista. I've reformatted and installed the last two builds of Windows 7 and they both do the same thing.

Has something changed with the way networking works that might be causing this? It's the weirdest thing.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

I fixed the problem. It was the "auto-tuning" of the network feature. Once I disabled it, everything worked fine!

I fixed the problem. It was the "auto-tuning" of the network feature. Once I disabled it, everything worked fine!

Thanks for the tip. I have had similar problems. I can connect but often revieve errors regarding exceeding the maximum connections or the transfer speed will spike at first and quickly drop to zero. I tried the4 suggestion above but had no success. Did you disable the auto tuning feature from the command line using this? :

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

or was there another approach?

D

Thanks for the tip. I have had similar problems. I can connect but often revieve errors regarding exceeding the maximum connections or the transfer speed will spike at first and quickly drop to zero. I tried the4 suggestion above but had no success. Did you disable the auto tuning feature from the command line using this? :

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

or was there another approach?

D

That's exactly what I did, and it fixed my problem. Which client and isp do you use? I am using Astraweb and Altopia. Both had the same problem before, both work now....

That's exactly what I did, and it fixed my problem. Which client and isp do you use? I am using Astraweb and Altopia. Both had the same problem before, both work now....

I'm using giganews and newsleecher. Interesting enough, I eventually wound up uninstalling Kaspersky Anti-Virus and suddenly my problem went away. I had previously disabled each Kaspersky tool (AV, firewall,etc.) with no change. It wasn't until I removed it completely that it corrected the issue.

And subsequent reinstallation of Kaspersky suceeded without a return of the issue, weird. At least I'm back up and running... for the moment. No complaints here, since both W7 and the Kaspersky are betas anyway.

-D

That's interesting. Who knows? That's the nature of beta software I suppose! Glad you got it fixed. :)

Back
Top Bottom