Windows 7 Having trouble upgrading from Vista

StaceyMortensen

Help! I just got my Windows7 upgrade in the mail yesterday and started the installation. After it got going I took off for the day, and when I got back the screen was black with only the cursor visible. I tried restarting, and got a screen telling me that startup was preparing the system for first use. It stayed there from 6:30pm until 9am, so I restarted again. It says the windows 7 is starting, but then goes goes to a black screen with only a cursor. Can anybody help me???

Help! I just got my Windows7 upgrade in the mail yesterday and started the installation. After it got going I took off for the day, and when I got back the screen was black with only the cursor visible. I tried restarting, and got a screen telling me that startup was preparing the system for first use. It stayed there from 6:30pm until 9am, so I restarted again. It says the windows 7 is starting, but then goes goes to a black screen with only a cursor. Can anybody help me???
IMHO you are wasting your time trying to upgrade from Vista. (Forums are loaded with Vista upgrade problems.) If you can still get in Vista, use it (DiskManagement) to shrink your Vista partition and do a clean install of Win7 in the space created. You will be able to dual-boot AND see your Vista Partition so that you can access your data. Re-install your apps and you're good to go. If you want to be brave, you can install Win7 to your existing partition and it SHOULD create a windows.old folder where you can access your Vista Data.

Hey Stacy,

What kind of PC do you have? Make and model?

Please try these steps.

Restart your PC and press F8 durring the startup. When you get options chose Safe Mode.

Click Start, click Control Panel, click System and Security, and then, under System, click Device Manager.

In the list of hardware categories, expand the Display adapters category.

Right click on your display adapter and click Disable.

Restart the PC normally. See if you can now get to your desktop. If that works you are working with a video issue. If not there are other steps you can try.

Most all of us agree that an upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-install your 3rd party applications.

There i poll going on now and "clean" install is winning by a mile,.

Back
Top Bottom