Windows 8 HD with OS instaled on another PC requesting activation.

Renan Pesciotta

I bought a new computer but kept the HD which I had installed on my windows 8. The computer did boot normally but now asks for activation key, claiming that my product key is already installed on another computer.

What should I do? I mean, I am not going to buy another license just because I have changed some of my computer parts, it stills my own computer.

If it is an OEM installed Windows, you cannot transfer it to another system - that's what the EULA says. But maybe MS will activate it. It's worth a try.

I had the same problem when I changed my motherboard and processer. I too got the same message as you. I did call Microsoft and they were really great about activating it for me. Give them a call. I am sure you will get the help to activate it.

If it is an OEM installed Windows, you cannot transfer it to another system - that's what the EULA says. But maybe MS will activate it. It's worth a try.
If the OP had been referring to a purchased OEM version of Windows 8, the EULA agreement has been changed and you can transfer the software to a new computer.

If you were referring to moving a drive from a OEM pre-installed computer, I have been wondering if that would be possible in regards to the new rules. I suppose that would depend if you actually had a License Key.

But the reference was probably just for the downloaded Windows 8 install. My Windows 7 system forced me to reactivate my OS yesterday and it has been on this system for 6 months.... The only things I had changed was the mouse and keyboard, several times. But the messages appeared after I did a Nivida card driver update...., so not sure which one was the cause..

The automated call is very easy, just a lot of numbers to deal with...

Back