Windows 7 Help! Cannot Add Memory?

RayPaula

Hi, I have a Desktop Board DX48BT2 in my custom built video editing workstation. I just updated this computer to Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. It “was” originally built as a 32bit Windows XP Pro system in the following configuration;

Processor: 3.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Extreme
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Hard Drive 1: Samsung HD103UJ 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB
Hard Drive 2: (2 x 750GB)Samsung HD753LJ 750GB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB Raid 0
Hard Drive 3: (2 x 750GB)Samsung HD753LJ 750GB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB Raid 0
Main Circuit Board: Intel Corporation DX48BT2 AAE26191-204
Serial Number: BQBQ815000JG
Bus Clock: 333 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. BTX3810J.86A.1521.2008.0318.1426 03/18/2008

Memory Modules: Memory - 4GB (2x2GB) PC10600 DDR3 1333 Dual
3324 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot 'J6H1' has 2048 MB
Slot 'J6H2' is Empty
Slot 'J6J1' has 2048 MB
Slot 'J6J2' is Empty

As I stated, I went to Windows 7 64bit. I did a full custom install wiping out Windows XP Pro. I left all my other components intact which showed everything compatible with Windows 7 64bit. After installing Windows 7, I added 4GB (2x2GB) PC10600 DDR3 1333 Dual Memory. I used the exact type/brand giving the system a total 8gb. The memory was recognized upon boot up. I then installed Microsoft Office Professional 2007 64bit which installed fine. I then proceeded to open up Word in Office and all was ok. I continued on to open Access at which point the screen went black and the computer rebooted and asked me to restart Windows in either Safe Mode or Normal. I opened in Normal Mode. I then went back to opening and closing Office 2007 seemed ok, but then the same thing happened again. Once rebooted, I tried to install my editing program (Vegas Pro 9 64bit). It was almost installed and once again, the above happened again. This process happened randomly at least eight times. I thought that maybe one of the memory sticks were bad, therefore I purchased another two sticks and still received the same results as before.
At this point, I removed the memory I added turning the system back to just 4gb. Since then, I installed several programs, opened/closed and used them “flawlessly” without the computer shutting down on me.
I “did not” do any BIOS or Motherboard changes and/or updates. Could you tell me if this is why I’m having trouble adding the additional 4gb of memory? If so, could you point me in the right direction for the “correct” updates? Keep in mind, I went from 32bit to 64bit. Your help would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance, Ray Sherman

you could have a bad stick or the motherboard might need a little more voltage to the northbridge chipset to cope with 8gb ram, the timings will change slightly each time you add a stick ?

the first task would be to check each stick together and separately in different slots, to do this please burn to CD (using an ISO burner) & run from boot >> memtest86+ << for at least 5 passes ?

please can you state the exact make and model of the RAM you bought and when ?

Hi,
I burned a CD from memtest, version 4.0. I'm pretty much computer savy until it comes to checking/changing the BIOS and other components. The new RAM i'm trying to install is Super Talent CL9 Micron Micron W1333UB2GM DIMM DDR3 2gb/128x8 in which I purchased 2 sticks. I went off the sticks that are installed in my system which are Super Talent CL9 Micron W1333UX4GM STT DDR3 4G (2x2G) Kit. I was told that the new sticks are identical to what I currently have in my system. The part numbers on the new sticks are a little different due to not being in kit form. Could you please advise me how to go about what's next? Thanks for the help, Ray

Hi,
I burned a CD from memtest, version 4.0. I'm pretty much computer savy until it comes to checking/changing the BIOS and other components. The new RAM i'm trying to install is Super Talent CL9 Micron Micron W1333UB2GM DIMM DDR3 2gb/128x8 in which I purchased 2 sticks. I went off the sticks that are installed in my system which are Super Talent CL9 Micron W1333UX4GM STT DDR3 4G (2x2G) Kit. I was told that the new sticks are identical to what I currently have in my system. The part numbers on the new sticks are a little different due to not being in kit form. Could you please advise me how to go about what's next? Thanks for the help, Ray

run the ram tests overnight and swop sticks around to verify all ram is good in all of the slots at different times :razz:

remember you could have a bad stick or it's been damaged with a bump in transit or static , and it's also possible the components may have varied between manufacturing dates ?

when did you buy the originals then the new ones ??

it's not a definitive test but it's the best we have currently :)

are you confident your bios is up to date ??

============================================

OK I have been studying the ram spec and the recommendations from Intel for your motherboard

your ram spec is exactly the same and matches to the Intel required spec but this specific ram you have is not on the supported list ?

It's possible it's a limitation of the memory controllers in the northbridge chipset of your motherboard ?

I would try going into the bios and lowering the speed of the ram then try all four ?

I would also consider emailing Super Talent and ask for advice ?

Last edited:
Hi,
The original RAM is Super Talent (Micron) 4GB (2x2GB) PC10600 DDR3 1333 Dual which was installed in the original build approx. 2 years ago. As for the new RAM, I just purchased it here locally. I “did not” do any BIOS or Motherboard changes and/or updates. I really don't know how to go about lowering the speed in the BIOS. I would need direction on how to do this. Below is a couple links in regard to my motherboard. It does show updates that can be done. One of my concerns are, if I do the BIOS update, can I revert back to the original if I have problems? Thank you for all your help, it's very much appreciated. Ray
Spec's:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dx48bt2/sb/CS-028495.htm

Overall View:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Hi,
Just did a BIOS update and reinstalled the additional 4gb of RAM. The BIOS now shows 8gb of RAM. I'll let you know how well everything goes from here. Thanks, Ray

Last edited:
Hi,
Just did a BIOS update and reinstalled the additional 4gb of RAM. The BIOS now shows 8gb of RAM. I'll let you know how well everything goes from here. Thanks, Ray

It's very likely the bios update could cure it :razz:

Hi, All was good for awhile, but now everything is like it was in my original post. Thanks, Ray

Back
Top Bottom