Windows 7 Help? Compiled software runs slow! 50%+ CPU used

rathan47

I am trying to figure out why only compiled software (like from Visual C++, etc) runs really slow on Windows 7. Programs like Frets on Fire, Phun, and such all run really slow, painfully so. And they use up 50% or more of the cpu even when idle. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm desparate to find a solution. Both 32 bit and 64 bit have the exact same issue. Regular programs and games all run fine, but created community software has the problem.

can you name some examples of what runs fine and what doesn't?
first of all let me say that ALL software that comes as an .exe-file is compiled, so you need to be a little more specific about that :D
secondly, I havn't had any problems with 50% cpu usage (so 100% cpu usage on one core if you run a dualcore processor) yet on w7.

PS: downloading frets on fire right now, whatever the hell that is. will report back ;-)

edit: frets of fire is running slow for me as well, seems to be either incompatible with vista/7 or just badly coded. it also uses A LOT of ram (~150MB). seems kinda strange to me. but that has nothing to do with it being compiled or not. seems to me like it somehow includes python and stuff. did you ever manage to run that game smoothly?

Last edited:
Software examples

Hi,

Commercial software games like Need for Speed, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3 all run fine. It's the independant software that is created from Visual Studio or other such programs. As I mentioned, programs such as Frets on Fire (a Guitar hero clone), Ultrastar (a Singstar clone - yes these are for my kids), Phun (a physics sandbox program) and so on all stutter and stagger and use 50% of the CPU even when idle and minimized.

All I can figure is that Windows 7 is having problems with the Visual C++ Library maybe? I'm not sure how that works...

seems kinda strange. most games are probably coded in C (maybe not c++, but ...).
can't really give you an answer on those, except advise you to send feedback to MS. did those games run fine on vista?

Yeah, they ran perfectly fine on Vista. And they all run in Windows 7, but they all have the same, slow, stagger problem and high CPU usage. It's almost like the system isn't processing the executable properly.

Oh, and I did send feedback to Microsoft. Hopefully I'm not the only one with this problem...

Thanks for trying to help me figure it out.

Last edited:
Your computer might need to be restored to an earlier point of time. You may try System Restore, uninstalling most recent updates, disabling antivirus software and other techniques. Download hotfix and check if that solves your problem. Manual solutions are provided below.

Clean Boot:

1. Click Start, select All Programs | Accessories | Run.

2. Type “MSCONFIG” (without quotes).

3. Click OK button.

4. Under General tab uncheck “Load startup items” checkbox.

5. Click Apply | OK.

6. Reboot your machine.

Run System Restore:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore.

2. Click Next button.

3. Select a restore point.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions. A system reboot is mandatory.

Back
Top Bottom