Windows 7 Help kindly needed with ULI Electronics Ethernet Device controller

Allnut

Hi,

apologies if this issue has been raised before, I have searched, honest!

So, last night, I stupidly :)confused:) deleted the driver for ULI Electronics ethernet controller and cannot now access the internet. Luckily, and unfortunately for me, I have my work laptop and am able to get on the net however it is so securely restricted that the only removable media device I can use is floppy drive.

In my quest to update the driver, I found that ULI electronics is now under nvidia's wing and the driver pack that they have available is way over the 1.44 mb that can be stored on to a floppy.

Anyways, I have Windows 7 64 bit installed and the device hardware ids to which I require drivers for are pci\ven_10b9&dev_5263&subsys_52631849&rev_40
pci\ven_10b9&dev_5263&subsys_52631849
pci\ven_10b9&dev_5263&cc_020000
pci\ven_10b9&dev_5263&cc_0200

Does anyone know where I can (if possible) get a new driver that could fit on to floppy or alternatively help me in any other ways (labotomy perhaps)? I would be really grateful...

Yes, I know, I am an idiot. :redface:

I can make a driver for you based on another model, which will work. Hopefully you are running x86 version of Windows 7. If you're running x64, you will have to get into how to disable driver verification permanently or with each boot up, which is not entirely recommended.

So the question is, which version are you running? If x86, I'll have a driver for you in a little bit.

Edit: Whoops, just noticed you said x64.

----

Try this. Open device manager. Click on any line, it doesn't matter. Then go to Action | Scan for hardware changes.

The correct driver may be auto-installed like this.

Last edited:
I can make a driver for you based on another model, which will work. Hopefully you are running x86 version of Windows 7. If you're running x64, you will have to get into how to disable driver verification permanently or with each boot up, which is not entirely recommended.

So the question is, which version are you running? If x86, I'll have a driver for you in a little bit.

Edit: Whoops, just noticed you said x64.

----

Try this. Open device manager. Click on any line, it doesn't matter. Then go to Action | Scan for hardware changes.

The correct driver may be auto-installed like this.

Thanks Pal, will try this and get back to you

Right, I did the hardware change scan, got a message stating driver is being installed then an error message stating no driver could be found. Any suggestions?

--Edit--

Cybercore, unfortunately the link from techRepublic takes me to a driver search page - Link Removed - Invalid URL - which doesn't contain the driver. Bummer. Thanks again though.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I have fixed the problem now after a little brain wave. Please see below for my actions that resolved this:

1. I downloaded the latest driver package (.exe) from Nvidia
  2. I ran the exe on my laptop, and contents were unpacked - the installation failed (expected)
  3. With the installation failure message open I navigated to my temp folder and found the drivers all neatly unpacked
  4. I copied the LAN drivers to a floppy and copied over to my desktop
  5. From my desktop i updated the drivers using the ones copied from my laptop
  6. Drivers installed correctly and am now back on the internet
  7. I wished I could kick myself up the a$$e!
So, issue sorted, I guess this thread can be closed. Many thanks for your help though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom