Windows 10 Help! Web site has Edge is being held hostage by a web site

Moondoggy

Extraordinary Member
I was using the new Edge browser on my laptop today to try to find a solution to a problem and now I have a new problem. I got onto a website that put up a prompt to install some software that I don't want. The prompt only has an option to install the software and when the prompt went up on screen the screen went gray which now won't allow me to select another open tab, open a new tab or close the tab. Edge will not allow me to close Edge either. I can currently close Edge with Task Manager but the next time I open Edge it restores all of my open tabs including the one that's prompting me to install something. It seems to me that there has to be some way to either get rid of the open tabs if Edge is locked onto something like this. Is anyone aware of how I can get beyond this error?

Well, I was able to get out of this mess on my own but I'd still like to know if there's any other way to resolve an issue like this. I noticed that when I launched Edge there was a brief moment before the page loaded where I might have an opportunity to select another tab. Took me several tries but I finally was able to select another open tab and once I was able to do this, I then closed Edge specifying that I wanted to close ALL of the open tabs. Once I re-launched Edge again, everything was OK but I checked settings and I could not find anything that would allow me not retain open tabs when Edge closes or would prompt me to restore or not restore an open tab when edge is opened. My concern is that this time I was lucky and had another tab open that I could select but what if the bogus web site was the only one opened or the connection to the bogus site opened too fast to allow you to select another tab?

Back
Top Bottom