Windows 7 HELP!!! WILL CONNECTING 2 LAPTOPS WITH A USB CABLE WORK???!!!

paradive

OK, IT'S A LIFE OR DEATH SITUATION (MAYBE i'm kidding)...

my laptop (64 bit win7) had a little oopsie in the hard drive area, that is... "short DST". it just won't boot up, no contents were lost.
but i need a lot of it back... BAD!

i'm thinking of connecting the 2 with a USB cable (this one's 64 bit win7 also). now i can power the other one up but since it won't BOOT up remember, if it needs any drivers for a bridged USB cable i'm screwed (obviously, a crossover cable won't work).

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY need these files from it (and i can't just rip it open and tear the HD out since that'll void the warranty)

thoughts?
please???

Hey there.

No, that won't work.

Pull the laptop hard drive out and connect it to a desktop system. Assign it a drive letter in Disk Management, if necessary.

Run this command on it from as elevated command prompt after you copy what you want to:

chkdsk /r X:

(Change X to be the real drive letter you or the system assigned.)

Put the drive back in the original laptop and see if it boots.

Hey there.

No, that won't work.

Pull the laptop hard drive out and connect it to a desktop system. Assign it a drive letter in Disk Management, if necessary.

Run this command on it from as elevated command prompt after you copy what you want to:

chkdsk /r X:

(Change X to be the real drive letter you or the system assigned.)

Put the drive back in the original laptop and see if it boots.

thanks for the advice, but no.... i can't take the HD out of it cuz that'll void the warranty on that laptop.
but will chkdsk /r X: repair "short DST"?
that may be an option...
is there ANY possible way of getting data off that HD w/o yanking it out?
(besides, THIS ONE'S also a laptop. i don't have a desktop around at the moment, so i can't frankenstein it together anyway)

and for the record, i originally tried to CHKDSK it, but it kept hanging at 50?%...

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it seems you have 2 choices then.

1) Send the laptop back to manufacturer for replacement or repair.

2) Void the warranty and follow my post.

Perhaps if you contact the manufacturer, they will allow you to follow what I've said before sending the unit back to them. Or perhaps they will ask you to only send the hard drive itself.

Best to contact them in this case.

Ubuntu live-CD -> back-up data to a portable device (if possible)
If the computer won't boot even to BIOS than this won't probably help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom