Windows 10 Help with Booting into Windows

lugstory

Hello, I am a windows 10 user and about a year ago i have upgraded my 1 TB hard drive to an SSD, I have used a tool for that and it worked perfectly fine. The problem is that today, when I had both the SSD and the hard drive active in my system, I tried booting into the hard drive and it just hit me with a blue screen and from that point onward my whole system is gone.

Prior to this, I wanted to expand my C: drive, as the SSD had 1TB separated into C: and D:. I have read online that the way you do this is you have to shrink down the D: drive and then expand the C: drive. But after actually shrinking the D: i couldn't expand the C:, that's why I wanted to boot to the old hard drive - so I could access windows from a different partition and so I could expand it there. I have now removed the hard drive and I tried booting into the SSD that I thought I was booting into the whole time. It simply tells me an error message that a file is missing at E:/ (which is the directory where I had my booting files on the old hard drive.)

After this I plugged in a ubuntu flash disc and the disc is completely fine, It even lets me mount it. I will provide you with a screenshot and I will be very grateful for any help, as I don't want to waste a lot of data on my drive.
1685286738198.png
(Btw. excuse the foreign language in some parts)
As you can see, there is in fact a 500GB partition, which is my C: drive, then there's a 342 GB partition that used to be my D: drive :(
Thanks for reading and helping me overcome this issue.

Windows can be weird when it comes to booting. If there was an existing BCD store on an existing partition it is still likely using it for booting. Incorrectly manipulating the BCD share can break the boot process and getting things switched over is fairly technical.

The easier method would be to backup your data and remove/unplug the old disk and reinstall Windows on the SSD.

I replied just now to another similar thread elsewhere on this forum.

I suggest that you compare the UUIDs of both, your original (source) partition, and your cloned partition or drive for clash. Just look at both their UUIDs in the Disk Manager utility of the Ubuntu live disc which you booted with already.

If both their UUIDs are identical then the system itself will allow only one disk or partition to run / show. The simple solution is to generate a fresh UUID for the newer disk / partition. How to do that will depend on where you are performing that action -- the Ubuntu live disc, your Windows install which does boot, or... where? I would suggest doing this on the Linux Live disc if you are comfortable with Linux. A lot of 'googling' will be needed for the exact step by step instructions but the advantage is that you can just install the relevant tool or utility from repository/ies, .deb or wherever. The drawback could be working in the Linux terminal if you are not comfortable with that.

Back