Windows 7 help with windows 7 64-bit , 8GB RAM

rafaelRO

Can anybody help me please?
I have Windows 7(beta) 64-bit
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.00 GHz

When I put more then 2 GB of ram my computer acts funny
when I put 4GB(2x2) my internet will not work
when I put 8GB .(my internet still not working) I start the PC and when I get to the welcome screen it’s all white , I put my password press enter and the white screen goes away ok I get to my desktop and I go to my computer/proprieties/Your windows Experience Index needs to be refreshed and when I click Refers Now my screen goes white again for like 2 min and comes back to normal and it didn’t run the "Refers Now".
What can I do? Somebody help me please:(
I want to use all 8GB of RAM

It sounds to me like you may have a compatibibility issue. Even though your sytem takes 8Gb, not all types and brands work in every computer. You wil have to contact Acer for na approved vendor list or a compatibility list.

I fhte problem is a compatibility issue then this can be a complicated question. Try here
Link Removed due to 404 Error
http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=2869

It`s a Acer Aspire M5100
and it takes up to 8 GB of RAM 100% sure
and RAM
FRYS.com*|*CORSAIR

CORSAIR DDR2 PC6400

if i put all 8 in i see it but i have the problems with the net and white screen

thanks

Acer's Website Documentation [See attached JPG Image]
says :
Up to 4 GB DDR2 533/667/800 MHz SDRAM
(dual-channel support on four DIMMs)

The webaddress:
Link Removed - Invalid URL
I am aware Crucial RAM Configurator maximum 8GB for 64- Bit Windows OS!

Link Removed due to 404 Error

this is what i found on the Acer website but that is not my computer specs ..my is even better . so why should`t take 8GB? and when i went to the crucial site and scan my PC it said 8GB is the max .
Acer Aspire M5100

Operating System
  • Link Removed due to 404 Error Windows Vista® Home Premium
Processor & Chipset

• AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core Processor 5000+
    (2 x 512KB L2 cache, 2.6GHz)

AMD™ 690G chipset with ATI™ SB600
Memory
  • 4GB (1/1/1/1) DDR2 SDRAM installed in four memory slots

User upgradeable up to 8GB (one 2GB memory card in each slot)* subject to availability of 2GB cards

* If upgrading after initial purchase, one or more of the memory cards provided with the system may have to be replaced with optional larger memory cards in order to achieve the maximum capacity.

Last edited:
Acer Home

this is what i found on the Acer website but that is not my computer specs ..my is even better . so why should`t take 8GB? and when i went to the crucial site and scan my PC it said 8GB is the max .
Acer Aspire M5100

Operating System
  • Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
Processor & Chipset

• AMD Athlonâ„¢ X2 Dual-Core Processor 5000+
    (2 x 512KB L2 cache, 2.6GHz)

AMDâ„¢ 690G chipset with ATIâ„¢ SB600
Memory
  • 4GB (1/1/1/1) DDR2 SDRAM installed in four memory slots

User upgradeable up to 8GB (one 2GB memory card in each slot)* subject to availability of 2GB cards

* If upgrading after initial purchase, one or more of the memory cards provided with the system may have to be replaced with optional larger memory cards in order to achieve the maximum capacity.

I posted that because of the Specifications shown at the ACER website for the make and Model in your earlier post used as search term brought that page up. I am glad you posted the right link for your submodel. I was also confused because Crucial, one of the best in RAM had indicated your Computer could take up to 8 GB Max RAM. I had posted that info also. As some one as indicated it might be the brand of RAM may not be compatible but their 1 GB RAM is said to be compatible at ACER"s own site! If it is a question of needing to reseat the RAM sticks in the slots, you might not have to buy another brand [as from Crucial who guarantees or your $ back]

FRYS.com*|*KINGSTON
Patriot Memory - Products

ok so i bought these ones and when i put 4GB .same problems

now what ?
Help Please !

1. Make sure you have the Acer Aspire M5100-U5402A sub-model NOT the originally posted Acer Aspire M5100. The RAM specifications to both are different.
  2. If you certainly have Acer Aspire M5100-U5402A and Acer's cliam is right about its max RAM capability being 8GB, then do the following:
    • Check the Motherboard very carefully under plenty of illumination for any obvious visible damage to the RAM sockets and their RAM claspers (clips that hook on to the RAM notches to lock them in slot)
    • Check to make sure the RAM sockets have no dust on them or caked in dirt in the socket groove where RAM's Gold feet must make intimate contact.
    • If there is any doubt, clean the RAM sockets and surroundings, using a small paint brush under strict Electrostatic precautions.
    • Clean the RAM socket groove with good Pencil Eraser that itself won't crumble and create more dirt!
  3. Insert one RAM modue in the first socket and test its recognition by BIOS and Windows.
  4. Walk the same RAM that worked through all the Sockets one after the other to test and confirm all cleaned sockets are functioning.
  5. Next try another RAM with this Proven good one as companion and walk them through other sockets to confirm that module and sockets work.
  6. Add the remaining 2 modules one at a time to test those RAM sticks are OK.
  7. If all RAMS work and BIOS and Windows Recognize them, you just have successfully cleaned your MoB RAM sockets and everything is working OK. Acer's claim is right also.
  8. If All sockets and each RAM tetsed are healthy but when they are all inserted at the same time, the BIOS does not show the full amount of RAM and Windows go beserk as you seem to suggest, consult Acer Tech support with all these suppportive evidences from your troubleshoot.
I hope this helps.

ok
i did all that and still does not work with more than 3GB RAM
and I also did: update my network Marvell with 64-bit driver and my video card with 64-bit drivers
and still not working
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is from Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com

my computer

Maximum Memory Capacity: 8192MB
Currently Installed Memory: 2GB
Available Memory Slots: 3
Number of Banks: 4
Dual Channel Support: Yes
CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ Model 3, Stepping 3
CPU Speed: 2790 MHz

any more ideas ? please:confused:

Yeah, I called Acer and they will not help me because my PC is out of warranty:frown:
thank you

can it be windows 7(beta) 64bit

because it`s beta ?

Last edited:
please believe the acer site as they know their hardware if it says 4GB then that is what you can use regardless of what crucial is telling you crucial don't care about whether or not you can actually use it they just want to sell you more ram. and i'd say under your warranty terms you may find acer are liable for support long after the hardware is out of warranty just send them an email asking them how much physical ram is your system cappable of seeing/using

ok
and I also did: update my network Marvell with 64-bit driver and my video card with 64-bit drivers
and still not working
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is from Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com

my computer

Maximum Memory Capacity: 8192MB
Currently Installed Memory: 2GB
Available Memory Slots: 3
Number of Banks: 4
Dual Channel Support: Yes
CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ Model 3, Stepping 3
CPU Speed: 2790 MHz

any more ideas ? please:confused:

Yeah, I called Acer and they will not help me because my PC is out of warranty:frown:
thank you

can it be windows 7(beta) 64bit

because it`s beta ?

I have not seen any authenticated report from users of Win7 Bit -64 Builds released so far that it overrides BIOS recognized RAM amount. The nearest case I came across in troubleshoot was in this Forum and it was finally proved to be loss of contact of RAM module in the Memory socket which a simple reinsertion had "cured"! You may search this Forum and find that. I cannot recall and I don't keep tab on any of my threads once things resolve or the questioner no longer posts further info requested for the troubleshoot:)

Your one sentence answer quoted above to my muti-part troubleshoot is hard to interpret. How can I incriminate your installed Windows 7 Beta 64 Bit unless you exonerate your Motherboard hardware and Installed RAM modules by stating clearly " my BIOS setup clearly shows all the RAM I installed but Window's system SPEC shows less" or something similar?

If both BIOS and Windows have shown 3GB RAM when you have actually installed 4 GB and you have proved each of the 4 sticks of RAM to be flawless by the trials I have listed earlier ( or Mem86+ test), then it is still a Motherboard problem, NOT Windows' issue unless you have a 32-Bit Windows which you have repeatedly stated not to be the case.

If you have opened your computer case (chassis) many times during this troubleshoot and "played around" with installed devices and suspect that could have caused the BIOS not to see the entire 4GB or 8GB RAM you had installed because of a BIOS ROM chip corruption, you may try to Reset CMOS Jumper [remove the plastic jumper cap from the current default pins [ Example Pins 1 and 2] and place it on the next 2 adjascent pins [ example Pins 2 and 3] for 20 seconds and place the jumper back on default pins, recable the system and Power ON the computer, and then go to BIOS setup and Load Default settings and see if BIOS now recognizes all the installed RAM.

If the above fails to reclaim all the Genuine RAM you have installed, call/email Acer Tech Support, for their "false claim" about your Acer Aspire M5100 sub-model. listed in your post. Before you do that make sure your own ducks are in order!!!!!

yeah I didn`t do this one :

If you have opened your computer case (chassis) many times during this troubleshoot and "played around" with installed devices and suspect that could have caused the BIOS not to see the entire 4GB or 8GB RAM you had installed because of a BIOS ROM chip corruption, you may try to Reset CMOS Jumper [remove the plastic jumper cap from the current default pins [ Example Pins 1 and 2] and place it on the next 2 adjascent pins [ example Pins 2 and 3] for 20 seconds and place the jumper back on default pins, recable the system and Power ON the computer, and then go to BIOS setup and Load Default settings and see if BIOS now recognizes all the installed RAM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I put 8GB of ram in my pc, BIOS and Windwos (my computer/proprites) will see all 8GB !

yeah I didn`t do this one :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I put 8GB of ram in my pc, BIOS and Windwos (my computer/proprites) will see all 8GB !
Am I to interpret the above response as problem solved or what? :confused:

Back