Windows 7 Here it is folks...

You can mount your Windows partition in SystemRescue CD a lot like you would in an Ubuntu live CD
like I described in my post.
Using the Ubuntu Live CD is easier however.

I like System Rescue CD for the Partimage tool it has.

I use it quite often to make images of my OS partitions.

It works with NTFS and has saved my bacon on many occasion.

Partimage only images the used part of a partition and has built in
compression to keep image sizes fairly small.

For instance my Win 7 install is 9 GB on a 22 GB partition, using medium compression my image is two files, a 3.8 GB file and a 700 MB files.

Partimage splits up the file because of the 4 GB file size limit in Fat 32.

On restore, partimage seamlessly and flawlessly combines the files.

I use Fat 32 because partimage won't restore an image stored on a NTFS volume.

You could also save and restore an image from a ext3 volume but I have no experience with that.

I presently have images of my Win 7, XP and 4 Linux distros saved to a 2 large Fat 32 thumbdrives.

I just this week made fresh images after performing updates/upgrades and installing programs.

My images are up to date as of 1 25 10.

If I do something stupid and bork one of my OS's I can restore to the image in about 2-6 minutes (depends on how large the image file is).

Believe me when I say this, I've had to do this more than a few times.

If you find that you would like to play around with partimage I written tutorial at the Ubuntu forums
see the links below.

The first link I wrote and the second is a cleaned up more professional tutorial based on mine.

The author asked me for my permission by PM before posting it.

link ----- How To Use partimage on SystemRescueCD - Ubuntu Forums

link ----- Howto: Backup with Partimage - Ubuntu Forums

You can PM me with questions about partimage if you need help.

Last edited:
Upgrading Windows 7

Hey all!

Well after much arguing and frustration here is the guide on how to perform a Clean (or \"custom\" as Microsoft calls it) Install using the Upgrade Media with Windows 7. :) Enjoy!

Paul Thurrott is the one to thank for this:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Hi Paul,
I have an evaluation copy of windows 7 and have had it for almost a year. My ex-husband gave me his software cd to upgrade to regualr windows 7. Do I just put the cd in and follow the directions? Should I back up all of my data? Because I have the evaluation copy I would think I may not have to worry about backing up and redoing all of my programs but I am scared. I am not a pro but I can work my way through things. How do I go about this process. I have had this windows 7 software for over a month and am soo afraid something might go wrong that all it is doing is collecting dust. I need some words of encouragement. How do I do this?

The only way

Hi Paul,
I have an evaluation copy of windows 7 and have had it for almost a year. My ex-husband gave me his software cd to upgrade to regualr windows 7. Do I just put the cd in and follow the directions? Should I back up all of my data? Because I have the evaluation copy I would think I may not have to worry about backing up and redoing all of my programs but I am scared. I am not a pro but I can work my way through things. How do I go about this process. I have had this windows 7 software for over a month and am soo afraid something might go wrong that all it is doing is collecting dust. I need some words of encouragement. How do I do this?

Do yourself a BIG favor and buy a new hard drive. A big one is only about $50. Install Win 7 to it, get it customized and consider some of the speed tweaks at the link in my tagline.... THEN install your favorite software and copy your personal data, photos etc from your old drive. When you are sure you have eveything you want copied from your old drive, use Acronis True Image and CLONE your drive to the old one. Should you have a problem with your new OS or Hard Dive.. you can be up and running where you left off in about 90 seconds. About once a month you can clone your drive again to make your backup current. It takes about 15 minutes.

Thank you so much for your input. I had never imagined doing something like that and it is an excellent idea. I also appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and address my concerns.
Thank you again,
Mary B :eek:

Back