Windows 7 Here's a good challange for your gurus =) (lost both os & bios pwds)

Buddha420

Hey guys,

this is my first post, so hello to everyone and thank you for your replies.

I just dug up my old laptop which was supposed to have a failed motherboard, but to my delightful surprise it boots up just fine. Its an ASUS GL551. The problem is this...I do not have admin access to bios, only user level access, so I cannot change the boot sequence. Then, I don't have the windows login info either, and I never setup the admin account to be visible from the login screen. My old boot sequence is: HDD, DVD, network....so no USB. Further more, I have tried to boot from other various operating systems, Mint, Trinity, torrented Win7, none of them would boot, except my official purchased Win7, but when I boot from it and select "repair system" or whatever, I get an error saying: "this version of system recovery options is not compatible". I can just do a full format...I think...maybe not considering the lack of bios access, but I have some precious data on this machine. If any of you guys can find some magical workaround, I would very much appreciate it.

bios info: Vendor - American Megatrends ver. 204

Thanks again.

--Buddha

To remove the BIOS password you'll need to locate the CMOS battery and remove it this may require removing the entire back and motherboard. Once that is removed for about 30 seconds (make sure the main battery is removed as well). The BIOS should reset to the default with no password. Once that is done you can use the Offline NT password reset tool, you can get it standalone or as part of the Hiren boot disc and reset the Windows password.

To remove the BIOS password you'll need to locate the CMOS battery and remove it this may require removing the entire back and motherboard. Once that is removed for about 30 seconds (make sure the main battery is removed as well). The BIOS should reset to the default with no password. Once that is done you can use the Offline NT password reset tool, you can get it standalone or as part of the Hiren boot disc and reset the Windows password.

Thanks for the prompt reply...I already knew this, thats why I mentioned the fact that its a laptop...I personally have never taken one apart..I'm sure I can do it...its putting it back together that worries me =)

-Buddha

All you should need is a small screw driver set and a plastic pry bar or even a credit card / savings card should work.

Issue solved!!

1. Change the date to 2002/01/02 in bios with the user level account.

2. Save and reboot.

3. When the enter password window appears hit "Alt + R", a "Enter rescue password" window will appear, with 2002/01/02 date showing (if not the code won't work), enter the following rescue password : ALAA4ABA

Can't believe I spent half a day on this.

Back
Top Bottom