Windows 7 High CPU Utilization

HappyG

I have a Lenovo T61 ThinkPad (Core 2 Duo 2.00Ghz & 2Gig RAM). I've installed the Windows 7 RC and since then my CPU usage sits on a minimum of 50% and often spiking to 100%.
Under Vista SP1 I never had this issue (I did an upgrade and not a clean install - I suspect that this could be the issue!) & I used to get about 3 to 3.5hrs battery life. Now I get 1 hour if I'm lucky due to this CPU usage issue.

Anyone got any ideas where I can start to look?

TIA

first things first, and you said it yourself - do a clean install! MS recommend it highly and it is worth the pain.

there may be a way to fix your problem but i wouldnt spend anytime fixing things on an upgraded version when a clean install will give much better results in the long run. What if you hit more problems futher down the road? You'll always be thinking "was it because i didnt do a clean install?!"

do that first and if it still doesnt work feel free to come back to this post and flame me for making you waste four hours! ;)

The culprit is likely driver related, possibly program related. Only real fix is a clean install.

Back