Windows 7 Homegrouping Windows 7/Vista?

eagan53

Is there a way to make a homegroup for my computer, which has windows 7 downstairs,
and my dad's upstairs computer which is running vista home premium i think?

Just use classical "networking".

Share the directories / drives on both computers (right mouse click on device / directory and select share)
Enable sharing on Both VISTA and W7 machines

should just work.

Homegroups to me seem an unnecessary complication and only (currently) work between W7 machines.

BTW if you have a Printer connected to one of the machines you can share it simply by the following
enable the share on the computer the printer is on and call it sharedprinter

now on the OTHER machine (client machine) do the following

ADD LOCAL (NOT NETWORK) Printer
Select Port type LOCAL

Name of port is \\computername\sharedprinter

now from your dropdown on your client machine just select printer / model and load the driver. If you can't find it Windows update should give you most of the common drivers.

Incidentally this is the way to share a printer say between computers 1 running a 32 bit OS and the other running a 64 bit OS. Works both ways round.

If you've got one of these "new fangled" wireless network printers then do the following

still add LOCAL printer (NOT NETWORK PRINTER)
now create TCPIP Port
name of port is \\printer ip address where the ipaddress on your lan is something like 192.168.2.8

What you are doing is to ensure the printer driver is the correct one for your LOCAL machine. As before both 32 and 64 bit systems can connect to the printer this way.

Cheers
jimbo

Just use classical \"networking\".

Share the directories / drives on both computers (right mouse click on device / directory and select share)
Enable sharing on Both VISTA and W7 machines

should just work.

Homegroups to me seem an unnecessary complication and only (currently) work between W7 machines.

BTW if you have a Printer connected to one of the machines you can share it simply by the following
enable the share on the computer the printer is on and call it sharedprinter

now on the OTHER machine (client machine) do the following

ADD LOCAL (NOT NETWORK) Printer
Select Port type LOCAL

Name of port is \\computername\sharedprinter

now from your dropdown on your client machine just select printer / model and load the driver. If you can't find it Windows update should give you most of the common drivers.

Incidentally this is the way to share a printer say between computers 1 running a 32 bit OS and the other running a 64 bit OS. Works both ways round.

If you've got one of these \"new fangled\" wireless network printers then do the following

still add LOCAL printer (NOT NETWORK PRINTER)
now create TCPIP Port
name of port is \\printer ip address where the ipaddress on your lan is something like 192.168.2.8

What you are doing is to ensure the printer driver is the correct one for your LOCAL machine. As before both 32 and 64 bit systems can connect to the printer this way.

Cheers
jimbo

thanks dude, so what you're telling me is i can set up so i can print from my downstairs computer, which is running windows 7 64 bit, and have it print to my upstairs computer, which is running windows home premium 32 bit just by following the steps you said above? that's freaking tight!

goddam it.

so i definitely did everything you said,
and i still have fucking access denied
from my downstairs computer. and i
enabled every fucking way possible to
share printing, and it's still denying me
access. i'm really really fucking pissed.

Back
Top Bottom