How can I control Drive letters assignments

cemster

I tried all kinds of formulas to phrase the search in Google but I couldn't get too close...
Hence I am here now...
:)

So I have about a dozen drives in my win 10 system. And sometimes I need to swap them to get clones or images or what not.

The problem I have is even when I put back the drives with the same cablings they still get different drive letters... So I keep changing, swapping the letters every time to get back to how they were before... It is a workstation so it is important that they are assigned to specific letters in order for me to keep my workflow...

So the question is is there any way I can assign drive letters permanently no matter what, of course unless I change them again.

I am really tired of reassigning 12 drives everytime I swap drives back and forth.

There must be a way to prevent that... I am hoping...

Thank you for replaying,
Disk Management is the only place I know to change the drive letters...

Oh! I am sorry... None of these drives are external... All my drives are internal HDDs with one SSD exception...

Seems your present method (Disk Management) is not working so well.
You could try it in the registry, if you are comfortable with that.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

first of, thank you for trying to help me out here,

I am comfortable but not necessarily capable. That means I have to research and study. At this point that scares me more than doing what I am doing now.

Maybe if you could direct me to a nice path with a nice view, I would be more willing to get my hands dirty... :)

If interfering with the registry, is not your thing, then perhaps it is better if you stay clear of it!
But, for what it is worth, this is the picture you will see, in the path I suggested. You can change these letters around, but, you have to be wary of any program which are currently dependant on the paths shown. In particular, the "C" path, which will normally contain the OS.

If you are going to take this daring tas, first you must back up your entire computer wilh a bootable image

I have tinkered with it few or more times for one or the other reason, and I even had Registry Finder at one point because it was faster to find things or something... Still, I can not consider myself like I know something.

The only thing is that I don't quite get is why changing the letters here would do any difference?

I assume when I change a drive letter in Disk Management, at that moment that process writes these entries here, am I wrong?

I feel pretty hopeless at this point;

I am wondering if the system does not recognize any sort of identifying mark in the physical drive, or if the drive itself could have some sort of information that coded that would help system for correct assignment there is not much can be done for this ridiculous problem...

Thank you again, I appreciate your inputs...

Back
Top Bottom