Windows 8 How can you create a self contained picture folder with only shortcuts to pics

Fernie

Hey Guys,
I am currently on a project that requires that I go through tonnes of photographs and be able to organize them in different ways.
Currently I'm having to copy pictures and paste them into different folders.

Is there a way I can create folders that only have shortcuts to pictures instead of having duplicate photos in different places, and most importantly when I am viewing pictures from the shortcuts, as I scroll through them I am limited to the pictures I have put in that specific folder.

( I know I can put shortcuts into a folder, but when I click on a shortcut i end up scrolling through the pictures in the parent folder... obviously this has to happen but Is there a way around it where I only scroll through the pictures I have shortcutted into a specific folder)
Hope that was clear enough i know it sounds confusing!!

" I know I can put shortcuts into a folder, but when I click on a shortcut i end up scrolling through the pictures in the parent folder... obviously this has to happen but Is there a way around it where I only scroll through the pictures I have shortcutted into a specific folder "

to be honest, Fernie … i am not seeing how your request is any different from typical file-explorer (windows-explorer) features … perhaps i am missing some key factor.

this is not quite as difficult as it may seem … while i am using win-10 … i cannot see how win-8 would be much different. where do you wish to locate the folder/directory? if you have more than one partition … i'd suggest avoid storing both images and shortcuts on boot-drive … in case one day your computer refuses to boot.

a'ight … let's say you have a g:\ drive … create folder on that drive … possibly name it "fernie_shortcuts". you may be satisfied with placing all the shortcuts in this folder … or you may wish to create sub-folders within the parent folder … such as "alaska_trip" or "my_pet_chow" or "selling_my_house" or "kitaro-live".

locate the image you want … right-click and drag file to your fernie_shortcuts directory … release mouse and choose "create shortcut". if you wish to place identical shortcut in both "alaska_trip" and "my_pet_chow" … simply "copy" instead of creating shortcut to another shortcut.

probably the most proprietary concern is what/how you wish to display the files. in the image below, i have chosen "details view" … making sure "types" and "size" are displayed. i also tick "show file extensions" … so i can see exactly what file i am dealing with. finally … i dedicate the "preview pane" as the focal point.

Fernie01.png

while you are viewing my image above … pls note each file is a shortcut … clicking a file produces preview in right-hand frame. if you right-click the file … choose "open" will initiate default windows app to display the image … it does not take you to the original parent file's folder. however … if you right-click and choose "open file location" … this will open the original parent file's folder. similarly … choosing "edit" would have similar effect.

this works same way in all sub-folders … utilizing the above method(s) and setup(s).

i'd really suggest for you to avoid placing the created folder on your desktop … but, you might create a shortcut-folder to your desktop. another option is for you to right-click the folder within file-explorer and choose option "pin to: (start-menu, quick-access, task-bar)".

if i have misunderstood and this is not exactly what you have in mind, Fernie … there are utilities on the internet which can help facilitate your quest. i have never used the programs … so i cannot vouch for them. pls act responsibly by checking the program for malware … also allow www.virustotal.com to check the url before you download the program. once on your hard-drive … scan for virus/malware. before installing … take a moment and create system-restore point.

far as i understand, both of the following are free:

edited for image content … thanks.

Last edited:
You probably want to look at making links. This will make the files appear to be in a different folder and still be a pointer to the real picture but still keep you in your separate directory. You can use the mklink command to create the links. Also if you delete the link it will not delete the actual file, just the link. If you open the link picture and edit it, it will edit the real picture. Links will also take up no additional space.

Get a external hard drive to store all your photos as backup in cause your computer won't boot up.

Sent from my Mix using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom