Windows 7 How do I replace a file that needs "Trusted Installer"?

donfisico

Hi, I had again the problem with adding printers that I first posted here, as I already know the troubleshooting I fix it myself. Anyway it worries me that the problem had appear again. I do not know what cause the problem in the first place. One thing that had kept hanging in the air about that problem was that tcpmon.ini file was corrupted and also the source file too. So "sfc /scannow" was unable to repair it. Here it comes the central point of my post: I have with me a tcpmon.ini file from other Windows 7 and I want to replace with it the one I have right now in Windows/System32 (trying them if that action would completly solve the print spooler dissapearing service issue). Of course for that I have or to delete the tcpmon.ini file in Windows/System32 or to rename it or to overwrite it. Neither of that things is possible because a message window shows saying "Need permission of TrustedInstaller for making changes in this archive". So, even and administrator can not change that file! Is there a way to do it anyway?:confused:

If you want to delete the file, you have to take ownership of it and give yourself permissions. There are several tutorials about how to do that. But you go to properties, Security, Advanced, Owner tab, Edit.

Pick your owner and click OK. Then close the dialogue boxes back down and start over. This time do the same thing but edit the permissions for your user to allow full control. Click OK back to the basic window. Now if you right click on the file, it should not show the blue and yellow shields. Delete it if you must.

To restore the trusted Installer to the new file, go through the Change Ownership procedure, but this time select "Other User or Group" on the bottom of the dialogue. In the box type (without quotes) "NT Service\TrustedInstaller". Click Ok, Then select the TrustedInstaller for the owner and OK back out. Change permissions as necessary.

You might try just deleting the file first to see if SFC will replace it, but if it still shows corruption and cannot, you may even have to replace the source file or do a Repair Install, which I still believe you need to do.

Back