Windows 10 How do you play a DVD in Windows 10?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Haven't tried to do this in a long time, and I find that Media Player makes no sense at all.
Why is there no navigation pane that at least lets you find what you want to play.

Windows%20Media%20Player_zpsn4i4pgat.jpg

I spent 10 minutes trying to find a way to navigate to the DVD in my drive.

I have all the Codecs installed, I know I can download VLC Media Player, in fact I'm about to do that but I'd still like to know how this is supposed to work.

In fact I can't really find a way to make it play anything from this end, some things I can play from the file end by clicking "Play With", but I don't see anyway to navigate to anything.

Mike

I had the same situation. I fixed it by using VLC media player.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Hi

I just installed it, do you know how to turn on Subtitles in it?
I'm looking online but I haven't figured it out yet.

Mike

It depends on the DVD movie disc. If you purchased a DVD movie, run it then go to the movie setup menu to turn on the subtitles or captions. If you downloaded a movie, it does not have the subtitles with it, you have to go to a website like subscene.com and look up the movie name and format [720p,etc] and download the subtitles for that movie, unzip the folder containing the subtitle and go to VLC player, click on subtitle and add the subtitle file you downloaded.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Don't know about the subtitles issue guys, but Mike you do know that M$ removed the DVD player capability from W10, and end-users must now purchase the Microsoft DVD Player software for $14.99 downloadable from Microsoft App Store. I went through this and discussed in previous posts. Turns out, that none of the Apps that are supposed to play commercial DVD movies in the App Store work. I paid for several and downloaded them including the paid version of VLC player for $7.99. No Bueno! It didn't play WALL-E, one of my favorite movies from Disney, nor any of the Matrix or Star Wars movies; and neither did any of the other pay-for players.:waah:

It turns out that I think it was brkkab had a big discussion about this when I first posted to another OP who was having problems playing movies from his home DVD movie collection after upgrading to W10. I think he said he found an APP he uses, which I'm going to get around to buying that works on all his movies in his collection as well as all other DVD medias such as ones made by Windows Movie Maker (WMM). Ahhh, a quick search found the discussion which you were included in Mike--Aug. 2016-earlier this year. And it was brkkab. The program is Cyberlink MediaSuite 14 Ultra. In the thread, I had mentioned that's a solid program and I had used earlier versions with much success, and in the 90s MediaSuite was packed with many OEM PCs on their factory loads.

Here's the link to that thread for your reference: Windows 10 - Hardware & Software issues in Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Update

I believe brkkab said it was around $79.99 US or so, maybe a bit more around $100 US or so. I don't know if will solve your subtitles issue, but it might be worth buying a copy and trying it out on some of your movies. I may get it later this year, as I have to do some events which require me to play movies on my W10. Otherwise, I have to drag out one of my old W7 machines in order to play most of my DVD movies as I mention.

This may help other folks including the OP fighting this issue and unaware that there is a solution--albeit it is NOT contained as most people would think in the Microsoft App Store for a paid solution. Shame on Microsoft for forcing us to watch movies from a decades old DVD movie libraries and making us spend nearly a $100 for an App that solves the problem. They should NEVER have taken that DVD player out of W10!:noway:
Several of us Insider Testers complained about that over in the Insider Hub and the Microsoft Community Forum including yours truly.

Hope this proves helpful, and if you try the Cyberlink MediaSuite let us know how it works for you and if it solves your subtitle issue or not.

Kudos to brkkab for posting his workaround app.:thumbs_up:

<<<BBJ>>> :lightbulb:

Hi Guys

I installed VLC Player and it worked great, even let my darken the image a bit to compensate for the difference between my computer and my TV.

Finally got to watch Star Wars the Force Awakens, it looked great on my Samsung TV.

I didn't figure out how to turn on the subtitles but I'll try again today.

I wasn't aware that I couldn't play DVDs in Windows Media Player any more, I installed all the codecs and have been using it to play other videos, like the ones that I create myself or download.

One more thing that Microsoft has taken away, anyway VLC player is a good free substitute.

I don't have a Blue-ray player so I don't have to deal with that.

Thanks for the input.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom