Windows 10 How hard is it for Windows not to update itself without my permission?

zackguetta

This should go without saying: I DON'T WANT THE OPERATING SYSTEM TO UPDATE IF I DON'T EXPLICITLY SAY THAT IT CAN.
I am absolutely mad.
I was training my machine learning models for a few hours and I got a message if I wanted to update the windows. I clicked postpone (or something similar) and decided to go to sleep. When I wake up, I see the PC restarted and a message saying that the Windows didn't update correctly.
I NEVER GAVE PERMISSION FOR IT TO UPDATE. ALL THE PREVIOUS WORK WAS GONE.
But okay, I decide not to be angry so much about it, run the scripts again and go on about my day. I get home, and AGAIN: Windows restarted and a message saying that it couldn't update correctly. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? IS IT THAT HARD NOT TO UPDATE WHEN I SAY I DONT WANT TO UPDATE NOW? HOW HARD IS IT PLEASE, ANY CONSCIOUS MICROSOFT EMPLOYEE ENLIGHTEN ME?
I DON'T WANT UPDATES RIGHT NOW. HOW DO I TURN THEM OFF FOREVER, LIKE REALLY FOREVER? I AM SWITCHING TO LINUX AS SOON AS I AM DONE WITH MY SEMESTER. FOR GOD SAKE
FOR
GOD'S
SAKE

Well first off that sucks you lost your work, but that's kind of on you for not saving. The second point is that we do not work for nor are we affiliated with Microsoft. We are a community driven forum volunteering our time to help others. Now that we got that out of the way automatic updates can't be disabled without considerable effort and non-sanctioned reconfiguration of your system Microsoft has options to allow for updates to go in "non-business" hours as well as postponement for many days. Microsoft's reasoning for doing is that frankly end users would simply not patch their systems on their own leaving them vulnerable.

Honestly your best course of action would be to patch when there are patches and as far as the failure to apply updates you would need to analyse the windows update log to determine the reason for the failure.

Back
Top Bottom