Windows 7 How to check your PC performance in detail .

whoosh

Cooler King
Staff member
Premium Supporter
The assesment tool does not give any real indepth reasons for the mark it gives . Winsat will .
Run this at the command prompt as administrator and the output txt file will show your performance in depth .

winsat formal -v >> output.txt

I believe that command will only assess the performance of the graphics card, and its relation to directx.
There are several other Command line choices:
winsat dwm Assesses the ability of a system to display the Aero desktop effects.
winsat d3d Assesses the ability of a system to run Direct 3D applications, such as games.
winsat mem Assesses system memory bandwidth by simulating large memory to memory buffer copies.
winsat disk Assesses the performance of disk drives.
winsat cpu Assesses the performance of the CPU(s).
winsat media Assesses the performance of video encoding and decoding (playback) using the Direct Show framework. winsat mfmedia Assesses the performance of video decoding (playback) using the Media Foundation framework.
winsat features Enumerates relevant system information.
winsat formal Runs a set of pre-defined assessments and saves the data in an XML file in %systemroot%\performance\winsat\datastore.

It is not always necessary to resort to command prompts in Windows. It has been designed as a user friendly GUI and there are often mouse click ways to achieve some results.
For example, to gain more insight into the performance index , you can do this

From the Control Panel, find Performance Information and Tools (or type it into the Search pane from the Start orb). In the Tasks pane, (on the left) you can select Advanced Tools. You'll notice a bunch of different tools. Locate the "Generate a system health report" tool. Wait one minute while the test runs and you'll get a nicely detailed report.

Me bad should have mentioned that too

:(
I believe that command will only assess the performance of the graphics card, and its relation to directx.
There are several other Command line choices:
winsat dwm Assesses the ability of a system to display the Aero desktop effects.
winsat d3d Assesses the ability of a system to run Direct 3D applications, such as games.
winsat mem Assesses system memory bandwidth by simulating large memory to memory buffer copies.
winsat disk Assesses the performance of disk drives.
winsat cpu Assesses the performance of the CPU(s).
winsat media Assesses the performance of video encoding and decoding (playback) using the Direct Show framework. winsat mfmedia Assesses the performance of video decoding (playback) using the Media Foundation framework.
winsat features Enumerates relevant system information.
winsat formal Runs a set of pre-defined assessments and saves the data in an XML file in %systemroot%\performance\winsat\datastore.

It is not always necessary to resort to command prompts in Windows. It has been designed as a user friendly GUI and there are often mouse click ways to achieve some results.
For example, to gain more insight into the performance index , you can do this

From the Control Panel, find Performance Information and Tools (or type it into the Search pane from the Start orb). In the Tasks pane, (on the left) you can select Advanced Tools. You'll notice a bunch of different tools. Locate the \"Generate a system health report\" tool. Wait one minute while the test runs and you'll get a nicely detailed report.

You are right I forgot to say that under pressure this way = thanks :)

I ran winsat d3d -v >> output.txt from a command prompt and it created a 0 byte file called output.txt. Nothing to read. :confused:

Yeah, that worked. I suppose I should have tried running as administrator on my own. I guess what threw me off was that I could see the command running in the command window when I ran it as a regular user. Unfortunately the output went by too fast to read and disappeared when the command finished. Also, the file "output.txt" was created, it just did not have anything inside. When I ran the command as adminstrator, I did not see the command output in the command window at all, but "output.txt" has the results of the command. Thanks for the tip. :)

I rarely use the command prompt in Windows anymore. Mostly just to run regedit or regedt32. I do use it a bit more in Linux, but the behavior is a little different there. One feature I really miss in the cmd window of Windows verses the terminal window in Linux is that in Linux I can highlight text in the terminal window and paste it where I want. I can use it to rerun a lengthy command, perhaps with an edit, or I can copy command output and paste in a text file, forum post, or email. I cannot seem to highlight and copy anything in Windows' cmd window. :frown:

Yeah, that worked. I suppose I should have tried running as administrator on my own. I guess what threw me off was that I could see the command running in the command window when I ran it as a regular user. Unfortunately the output went by too fast to read and disappeared when the command finished. Also, the file "output.txt" was created, it just did not have anything inside. When I ran the command as adminstrator, I did not see the command output in the command window at all, but "output.txt" has the results of the command. Thanks for the tip. :)

I rarely use the command prompt in Windows anymore. Mostly just to run regedit or regedt32. I do use it a bit more in Linux, but the behavior is a little different there. One feature I really miss in the cmd window of Windows verses the terminal window in Linux is that in Linux I can highlight text in the terminal window and paste it where I want. I can use it to rerun a lengthy command, perhaps with an edit, or I can copy command output and paste in a text file, forum post, or email. I cannot seem to highlight and copy anything in Windows' cmd window. :frown:

Go to the edit feature in windows cmd - hit select all . Go to the edit control and hit copy . Now you can past into a text doc etc . The controls are in the top left of cmd the little picture of the cmd window . :)

Go to the edit feature in windows cmd - hit select all . Go to the edit control and hit copy . Now you can past into a text doc etc . The controls are in the top left of cmd the little picture of the cmd window . :)

Sneaky aren't they! :D

Thanks! :)

Back