Windows 10 How to Defrag computer

The same method as previous windows.....In File Explorer> right click "C" drive> select properties> left click "Tools".

Hi

I use Defraggler, a free program from Piriform the same people who make CCleaner.
I like it because it has the ability to just defrag specific files or all files without doing the whole Drive.

You only need to do the whole drive once a year.

When I'm working with really large video files it can really help to defrag them periodically.

You can defrag all the files in only a few minutes.

Defraggler - Download

I've used it for years and it's never had any issues.

Mike

Untitled.png
Eddard, thanks for relying. I tried your suggestions but alas no go. Please see the screen shot. Mike, I don't really want to download any more programmes, I would rather use Windows10 to do the job. I downloaded a "Free" Spy Hunter programme, just to have a looksee and have had a devil of a job getting rid of it and I am not sure it's gone yet. I had to go into REGEDIT and search out all the dross left behind. Once bitten three time shy.

Thanks for coming back anyway, much appreciated.

RonBin79

Ron look under admin tools for the defragmenter. I did a screenshot earlier for another user although he was looking for something else but the route is basically the same:
cm.jpg

Eddard, thanks for relying. I tried your suggestions but alas no go. Please see the screen shot......
RonBin79
Eddard is right, it is there!
Navigate to 'This PC' there you see your drives and C: must be there. Rightclick on it, select Properties and there you wil find it like it always was.

Please try again,
Henk

Thank you one and all, job done. Much appreciated. Whilst fiddling I discovered another way. Settings>Systems and Security>Find a Setting (in the box top right) >type in Admin Tools and there it is, third one down.

Something else I have learned and have written down in case I forget. At 83 one does forget things you know.

RonBin79

Thanks kemical. Tell me please, is Optimising the same as defragging? I did an Analyze and then Optimise. I wondered if that is the same as defragging. Normally that takes about an hour to complete. Is there an additional setting to be found?

Cheers,

RonBin79

Optimising is primarily for SSD's and is like the TRIM feature of old. If you have a HDD then it will be defragmented (or should I say optimised) it's pretty much the same thing in this instance.

Last edited:
I experienced the same thing as well; that is, the built-in defrag sometimes doesn't do a good job, even for data drives. For example, I have one HD used to copy large video files, burn them to DVDs, then delete them. At some point, verification errors show up in the DVDs after burning, and they still show up even after I use another set of blank disks or optimize the HD and boot the system several times. It's only when I use a third-party defrag program on the HD does the problem go away.

I still recommend Defraggler it works better than any other defrag program that I've ever tried.
It's free and it's from a reputable Source the same people who make CCleaner.

Back
Top Bottom