Windows 7 how to format external hdd

paulwps

Hi all, only found this forum today, looks very useful.
I have a problem someone here might be able to throw some light on.

I am trying to format an external 80gb hdd in fat 32, and it keeps stopping saying
"hdd too large" i have tried different ways with no joy,
anyone have any ideas ?
thanks in advance
paul

hi and welcome

I just want to know why FAT, formatting as NTFS is more efficient when working with larger partitins

try formatting with NTFS

Hi thanks for quick reply,
i need it formatted in fat 32 as it is a requirement for my satellite box.
it is already formatted ntfs
paul

ok,

you can try this

click start... typein the box type cmd or command prompt , right click, run as adminsitrator

WHERE "X" IS ... THIS IS YOUR DRIVE LETTER YOU WISH TO FORMAT

Format X: fs/fat32

ok,

you can try this

click start... typein the box type cmd or command prompt , right click, run as adminsitrator

WHERE "X" IS ... THIS IS YOUR DRIVE LETTER YOU WISH TO FORMAT

Format X: fs/fat32

Hi that is exactly what i did the last time i tried, the one that said too large???
it did start formatting but said that after about 15 mins.

I believe Fat 32 has a limit on size, 0f 32Gbs, with what you are attempting. You could try partitioning under that amount. If it works, it is a bit clumsy as you will then need three partitions.
But I am surprised at your comment on the satellite box. Are you sure it canoot be configured, or use, NTFS?

fat32 can do a fair chunk to be fair BUT windows doesnt like it , hence NTFS was brought out( not going in to technical detail , just keeping it simple). SwissKnife can do a good 400gb harddrive although restrictions are placed on things for a reason, id says fat32 for a big HDD is kind of ... well bad......think about it . its saying its too large for a reason, HOWEVER if you wish to try it, try swissknife :)

its his harddrive at the end of the day, we will endeavour to achieve his solution ( if its possible )

Open Windows Explorer, locate your external HDD

Right click on the drive icon and select Format.

In the opened dialog box Select the file system as either FAT32. Leave the allocation unit size as default.

Enter a volume label, Select Quick Format and then click on OK.

This will format your ext. HDD quickly as FAT32.

Back