How To Get Rid of GHOST IP address?

DRepke

I use an ASUS RT-AX88U router for my home network which is set to always use a specific IP address (i.e., 192.168.1.111) for my primary computer which has always worked fine for years.

More than two months ago, the original ASUS motherboard in my 10+ year-old self-built PC, running Windows 10 Pro, finally died, forcing me to purchase a new high-end HP computer. When I set up the new computer, I first renamed it to my previous name and, as expected, it had no problem setting the IP address to the 192.168.1.111 specified by my router. Unfortunately, over the next month, I had continuos keyboard problems with five different sets of wired "and" wireless keyboard/mouse combinations that forced me to return the computer to HP. It was replaced by a new custom-built version of the exact same computer I just returned.

When setting up the second new computer, at some point during setup I renamed this computer once again to the one I've been using for years. At first, I thought everything was okay until I noticed that the IP address was NOT the 192.168.1.111 that my router was supposed to set it to. Instead it was set to 192.168.1.230 which is not what it was supposed to be.

I was not sure what happened but I figured that I would just have to reset it in the router. No such luck! When I tried to reset it, I was told that 192.168.1.111 already existed.

Sure enough! When I "ping" for it, here's what I get:
======================================================
PS C:\Users\XXXXX> ping 192.168.1.111

Pinging 192.168.1.111 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.230: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.111:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Needless to say, if I ping the "supposed" actual address,
that works just fine:
PS C:\Users\XXXXX> ping 192.168.1.230

Pinging 192.168.1.230 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.230: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.230:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

I have wasted hours-and-hours trying to fix this without any success. How do I find what's causing this "ghost" IP address (i.e., 192,168.1.111) to exist and, more importantly, how do I get rid of it so that I can once again assign it to my newest PC?

Any help on resolving this issue would be GREATLY appreciated.
THANK YOU.

It seems like there might be a conflict with the IP addresses in your network. This can happen when two devices are assigned the same IP address, which can cause connectivity issues. Here are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Restart your router: Sometimes, restarting your router can help resolve conflicts with IP addresses. Try turning your router off, waiting for a minute, and then turning it back on.

2. Check for duplicate IP addresses: It's possible that another device on your network has been assigned the same IP address as your new computer. To check for duplicate IP addresses:

- Open a command prompt on your new computer (press the Windows key + R, then type "cmd" and press Enter).
- Type "arp -a" and press Enter. This will list all devices that are currently connected to your network.
- Look for any devices that have the same IP address as your new computer (192.168.1.230).
- If you find a device with the same IP address, try changing its IP address to something else to avoid conflicts.

3. Release and renew your IP address: Sometimes, releasing and renewing your computer's IP address can help resolve connectivity issues. To do this:

- Open a command prompt on your computer (press the Windows key + R, then type "cmd" and press Enter).
- Type "ipconfig /release" and press Enter to release your computer's current IP address.
- Wait a few seconds, then type "ipconfig /renew" and press Enter to get a new IP address from your router.

4. Assign a new IP address manually: If none of the above steps work, you can try manually assigning a new IP address to your new computer. To do this:

- Log in to your router's web console (usually by typing in your router's default IP address in a web browser).
- Navigate to the DHCP settings and look for the option to reserve IP addresses.
- Select your new computer from the list of connected devices and enter a new IP address (e.g., 192.168.1.200) to reserve for it.
- Save your changes and restart your computer.

Hopefully, one of these steps will help resolve the issue with the ghost IP address. Good luck!

Might be It appears that there is a conflict with the IP address 192.168.1.111 on your home network. Try these once
  • Log in to your ASUS RT-AX88U router's administration interface. You can usually access it by typing "192.168.1.1" or "router.asus.com" in your web browser's address bar. Enter your router's username and password to log in.
  • Once you are logged in to the router's interface, look for the section related to DHCP settings. DHCP is responsible for assigning IP addresses to devices on your network automatically. Ensure that the DHCP range does not include the IP address 192.168.1.111. You can modify the range if necessary, making sure it does not conflict with any static IP addresses you have set.
  • Also, check for static IP assignments. Look for an entry related to the IP address 192.168.1.111 and delete it if found.
  • After making the necessary changes in your router's settings, save the configuration and restart the router. This will ensure that the changes take effect.
  • On your newest PC, go to the network settings and check whether it is configured to obtain an IP address automatically (via DHCP). If it is set to a static IP address, make sure it is not using 192.168.1.111 as the assigned IP. Change it to a different IP address if needed.
  • Restart your newest PC to allow it to obtain an IP address from the router using DHCP.

the 230 address is from your pool of spares so the router didn't give it the old address for one of two reasons;
the settings at the router changed or the mac address of this new system is in fact the same mac address as before... willing to bet its the 2nd one but either way the fix is as already posted, go into your router settings and fix things

personally i'd reset the router to default settings [normally a pin resets it] then simply make 111 the default for your new systems Mac address... if your home setup doesn't have too many mac addresses then it going to be faster than trying to figure out your mistake

Ghost IPs can be tricky! Had a similar tango with my router. I tried a power cycle first - sometimes, it works wonders. If that doesn't exorcise the ghost, check your DHCP lease settings. There may be a lingering connection from the old setup. And you can find even more ideas here: 192.168.1.2 - Admin Login. Fingers crossed for a ghost-free IP zone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom