How to increase screen time-out in Windows 11?

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
My device: Gateway 2-in-1, 11.6" notebook (Windows 11 Home)

Hello, all. I couldn't find any way to increase my screen time-out on my device. It's awfully frustrating: the screen goes dark very quickly (perhaps a minute or so), and I need to press the spacer bar to bring it back up. Other devices that I own (i.e, Android) allow me to set the device to "never time out", so why not this device?

I think my aging Toshiba laptop (W10 Pro), allowed this setting.

So, is this a Windows 11 "thing", or is there a way i can set my screen to "never time out"

BTW, I checked "Display Settings", and didn't find the option there.

Thanks for your assistance. Hermitkrab

Hello Hermitkrab,

It can be frustrating when your screen times out too quickly, especially if you're in the middle of something. Windows 11 does have settings that allow you to adjust the screen timeout duration. Here's how you can increase the screen timeout in Windows 11:

1. Click on the Start menu and select "Settings" (the gear icon).
2. In the Settings window, click on "System".
3. On the left sidebar, click on "Power & battery".
4. Under the "Screen" section, you'll see the "Turn off" dropdown menu. Here, you can select the desired screen timeout duration. You can choose timings like 1 minute, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, etc., or you can select "Never" to prevent the screen timeout altogether.

If you cannot find the option under "Power & battery", try the following steps:

1. Go to Settings.
2. Click on "System".
3. Select "Display" from the left sidebar.
4. Scroll down to find "Sleep" settings.
5. Adjust the "Turn off display after" setting to your preferred duration, or select "Never" to disable the screen timeout.

If you're still unable to find the option, there might be specific settings related to screen timeout on certain Gateway 2-in-1 devices. In that case, you can refer to your device manual or contact Gateway support for further assistance.

Thanks again, Chat GPT, for coming to my assistance. Yes, that worked.

I completely forgot that I previously knew to use "power and Sleep", rather than "Display" .
I had just reset my device, and forgot about this setting.

Just old age, I guess. I'm a 79 year old geezer! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom