Windows 7 how to install a bootmgr on windows 7?

aneks

Hey guys, I've got Windows Vista already installed and not long ago I've downloaded and installed Windows 7 and I love it! I haven't used Vista ever since. Now I wanted to delete my Vista partition and just have Windows 7 running. Every time I've tried to do anything remotely to removing it I get an error message on boot up saying no bootmgr. Is there any way I can remove my Vista partition and just have Windows 7 running, without having to remove both and reinstall Windows 7 from scratch again? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums.

You'll have to hit the F8 key (may be different on other manufactures PC's and choose Safe Mode with command prompt.

Your driver letters will be changed, so make sure you know the drive letter of the Vista partition.
Now CD to another partition and choose format............the letter of your Vista partition

Such as format C:

Don't choose C:.................., that's just an example.

You'll need to know the name of the partition.

It is not clear from your post, but are you in a situatin where you cannot boot Windows 7 or Vista? If that is the case, then I think the boot manager was on the Vista partition?? Bu, in any case, If you are able to boot up, I would suggest you give the partitions names for recognition. As Reghakr warns, the situation changes when you boot into safe mode. If you have lost your boot manager, which I may have misunderstood from you post, the easiest course is to boot up with the windows 7 DVD and select "repair startup"

I've tried restarting and going into safe mode with command prompt and formatting the Vista partition that way but it wouldn't work. It kept saying that the volume is in use and needs to be unmounted first and it asked me to choose yes if I wanted to do that and when I did, it said can't lock the volume, it's being in use by another process. So what I've done is I used partition manager when logged into Windows 7 and formatted the Vista partition that way, it forced a restart and after it was done it booted into Windows 7. So it worked that way. Thanks for the help guys :)

Back
Top Bottom