How to prevent Windows from restarting after Updates Installation?

Keccogrin

My Windows Vista o.s. downloaded and installed some "important" updates. Now it's asking me to restart the system (it will be done automatically in 1 day). But I don't want and I can't stop one process (that is really "important") running just now... How can I prevent Windows from restarting in 1 day ?
Thank you very much,
Bye bye

Attachments

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Windows 10 is the only version that auto restarts to my knowledge. Vista doesn't. A pending restart just means you need to restart for those updates to finish installing.

davehc

Essential Member
Premium Supporter
Long time since I used Vista. But, look in the task scheduler (Start menu Administrative tools). You shold find that you can turn the task off there.

Windows Vista/7: Start > search for gpedit.msc. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update and enable "No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations".

All non-Home users can apply the same policy change by adding a new key to the registry. Go to Start > Run/Search for regedit. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Policies Microsoft Windows WindowsUpdate AU. Create a new 32-bit DWORD value named NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers and give it a value of 1.

Also you can use our free software Action1 to turn on Windows Update, disable Windows Update or configure automatic updates without manually tweaking Windows Update registry settings or running PowerShell to enable Windows Update. It is also useful when configure automatic updates with GPO is not working properly on certain systems or when you need to temporarily turn off Windows Update and then revert it back. Action1 can work on multiple computers and even laptops not connected to corporate network at all times.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.