How to Properly Disable Cortana in Windows 10
Using Local Group Policy Editor in Microsoft Windows 10, it is possible to completely disable Cortana, without it restarting, and without editing the registry, or making forced changes.
In this tutorial, I will show you how to properly disable Cortana on Microsoft Windows 10 client.
- Search and open gpedit.msc
- Locate Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Search
- Scroll down to Search and find "Allow Cortana". Right-click to "Edit"
- Search the Command Prompt with elevated privileges by right-clicking and "Run as Administrator"
- Execute gpupdate /force in the Command Prompt.
- Go to Task Manager and end the "Cortana" task.
- Cortana is disabled as a matter of company policy and will not run in the background, even when disabled.
It is true that this process disabled Cortana, but does not remove the process. This is still an effort that people are working on and discussing.