Windows 10 How To REALLY Block Windows 10 Updates and Upgrades

"turn off the internet is the safest way... no skill needed for that and you will not get a malware"

So true and guaranteed . Rather a LOL .though.

Spying is going overboard. Microsoft doesn't collect anything that can identify you. It's mostly usage statistics, and hardware profiling and scrubbed crash data. If you want to see this data you can install a certificate and decrypt the TLS traffic.

There's also an app in the store to view collected data.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Nag me all you want, Microsoft, but this is getting ridiculous. All I want is an “Off” button — until you figure out how to deliver reliable patches and upgrades.

Personally i would love nothing more than to see the old way of doing things return. The time when i could scan and investigate each update and if need be stop it's installation are very much missed indeed.

I have never mentioned anything about spying what I'm saying that they are forcing us to update. Sometimes many people are using a paid network and its update is more than 1 GB and there are many countries where network speed is slow and when these people do their work windows update starts I'm not against windows update but when should we update our system I think it's our right.

Hi Daniel. Agreed, the thread haa tended to drift from its title.
But yr post. It is possible to restrict the time that updates are applied. I would say, in the case of workers on a fixed schedule, it is comparatively easy to make sure their work is not interrupted by using the facility.

Thanks for the input, Terry. I have never used a Home edition, and was not aware of that difference.

As far as I know, you cannot delay updates on Windows 10 Home -- only on Pro

You Can't Disable or Delay Windows Updates on Windows 10 Home

The company (Microsoft) says
the company is wrong... you can (and I do) disable Microsoft updates on Windows 10 Home systems
i don't recommend blocking updates but sometimes you have to take control
it takes a good understanding of Microsoft services system and that is one of the reasons I don't post public "how toos" for it... the other being that Microsoft will just change the rules

the company is wrong... you can (and I do) disable Microsoft updates on Windows 10 Home systems
i don't recommend blocking updates but sometimes you have to take control
it takes a good understanding of Microsoft services system and that is one of the reasons I don't post public "how toos" for it... the other being that Microsoft will just change the rules

@ussnorway we're talking about different things here - updates can be blocked on all versions of Windows 10, but you cannot DEFER updates on Windows 10 Home Ed (this is built into the Settings > Update & security)

AND MICROSOFT WILL CHANGE THE RULES no matter if we post "how toos" or not -- and there are hundreds if not thousands of "how toos" in addition to mine.

I would agree to that. When I googled, I found several pages, often repetitive, with ways to "hack", or work outside normal customising procedure, in order to stop updates. And yes, Ms will go to extraordinary lenghs with Windows 10, to prevent us users horning in on their private territory.

Take a look at the following link

Windows 10 upgrade: Survey finds half of users experience problems

ONE-HALF of the users surveyed said they have had problems with W10 Upgrades. Mind you, the article is talking about a (major) Upgrade, not (minor) Updates. This is opposite to the statements of those who replied to my initial post saying things like "I think I've seen 2 patches in the last 2 years cause an issue" and "Since the first release of windows 10, you have to believe me, I have never had a problem with ANY updates / upgrades".

The results of this survey support my recommendation about W10 Upgrades in particular: **DO NOT** upgrade to (for example) W10A8 until you are confident it is stable (AskWoody). Again, I'm not telling anyone to block these FOREVER; just hold off until it appears safe to Upgrade.

The original article:
» Microsoft must help consumers affected by Windows 10 PC pain

I don't doubt their findings but, as always with such surveys, the complainants would, to a large extent, be the ones to write in. I do wonder what the other 50% had to offer. It isn't mentioned..
I guess our gang must have been in that section -lol I think it is possibly significant that we all use Dells?

The original article:
» Microsoft must help consumers affected by Windows 10 PC pain

I don't doubt their findings but, as always with such surveys, the complainants would, to a large extent, be the ones to write in. I do wonder what the other 50% had to offer. It isn't mentioned..
I guess our gang must have been in that section -lol I think it is possibly significant that we all use Dells?

I agree that in any kind of survey it is mostly those with a problem who respond! This is true of almost any aspect of our lives that involves an opinion. I was in software development for 30+ years and guess what? We seldom get kudos if everything is good -- we only heard if there was a problem.

Last edited:
If you "turn off the internet" meaning you don't use the Internet (?) then you are one in a million. Yes, you won't 'get a malware' but you also won't get *ANY* W10 patches.
yes mate that is the point I.e, he doesn't WANT any windows patches until he is ready for them

If you are managing multiple systems in a work environment, and you really, absolutely need to control the update processes, then you may be well aware that there is still WSUS (Windows Server Update Services). You can literally micro-manage every single update from that, but, it obviously requires a separate server installation on a domain controller. When I didn't want one of my machines here to update I found pausing the updates was sufficient. I suppose once that "deadline" expires whereas updates would be unpaused, one could simply just uncheck and recheck that box a day or two (or even week), before the "Pause Update" expiry.

Back