Windows 10 How to Restore Erased Bookmarks in Edge Browser Following PC Reset?

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
Hello, Guys. I recently restored my PC and lost all bookmarks in my Edge Browser (shoulda backed 'em up). Is there any way to restore them? Thanks.
Toshiba laptop
Windows 10, version 1709

Solution
OK. In the event of you wanting to restore/reinstall, or whatever. You should, in the first instance, make a copy of the folde. It's here:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Favorites

In their usual contrary way, MS chose to bury it real deep
That guide assumes you backed them up. You can run a tool like Recuva, GetDataBackNTFS or testdisk to try and recover the directory where they are stored which is mentioned in that article linked above.

Thnks for your reply, Neemo. The problem is my bookmarks weren't backed up, so there's no place from which I can recover them. Funny, I've done resets before and I think, though not sure, that the browsers remained intact.

You can attempt to recover them from the deleted partition. That is what the tools I mentioned will do.

There is a remote possibility that they were stored, in the cloud, for IE. Try the Edge import facility with IE selected as the source.

Neemo:I tried Recuva but was unsure where to tell it to look. I tried C:// but tens of thousands of files were located. I also tried 'documents' with same result. To go through all those files would be pretty daunting. Anyhow, thanks for mentioning Recuva. I'm keeping the program for possible future use.
DaveHC: I tried importing from IE but none of the bookmarks were mine.
I'm not going to be too concerned. Fortunately, I've remembered most of my important bookmarks and reinstated them in my browser.

OK. In the event of you wanting to restore/reinstall, or whatever. You should, in the first instance, make a copy of the folde. It's here:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Favorites

In their usual contrary way, MS chose to bury it real deep

Solution
Sad thing also is if you had another win10 PC and they were set to sync the reset would have deleted the favorites on the other PC.
The sync always looks at the last operation on synced PCs and migrates to all others, at least this is the way it works on my 3 win10 PCs.

Make sure once you get them back you do the backup.
If some of these came from either Firefox or IE explorer you may be able to get some of them back with what Neemobeer suggested. In these explorers they are not buried so deep. For instance in IE it is you user directory and just favorites.

Just to save me grief I backup the favorites on a regular basis, good luck.