Windows Vista How to Save Files to Memory stick

anajoloo

I am using Windows Vista Home on a Toshiba satellite 350

Can anyone tell me how to save a file on to a memory stick . I find the correct file then right click on the file and try to 'send to ' memory stick I then get an ' Item not found box ' popping up saying this file is no longer located in .............'' But I know it is ! I have opened the file and checked it's the right one . I get the same message if I try to drag it in to the removable disc folder.

Have you tried to drag and drop files to memory stick. For me I would insert my SD card into slot. Then go to my computer and find the card listed and open it, then slide screen over to the right. Then open, in my case the pictures folder, find what file, open, and drag and drop files (pictures) into SD card screen. That's it and thats the manual way also. When you insert the card a pop up should appear and a list of suggested items should pop up in the window. Asking you what you want to do. Click open to view, then find your files and move them to that window...ie..drag and drop. Hope this helps.

Thanks but I have tried drag and drop , copy and paste but i always get I then get an 'Item not found ''box which contains the message
''Could not find this item This item is no longer located in C:\Users\Desktop. I ( Or wherever am looking) Verify the items location and try again''

But the file IS there

Now we have a problem, there seems to be something an underling issue. Probably a corrupt file some where. Where is the question? Lets try this, Clean your computer of all malware, spyware, adware and check for virus's. Run adware 2008, Spybot S&d, CCleaner. Then run a disk and registry defragger. Auslogic has one for each. These are all freeware and shareware off the internet, just Google the name. Most if not all can be download from cnet. Here is the link.
Free Software Downloads and Reviews - Download.com
Once you done all this and have your computer cleaned up try the drag and drop method again. If this doesn't help we will need to do a system restore to and earlier time. If that doesn't work and complete system reformat is in order. Both are fairly easy to do and we can walk you through it.
I have a sneaky feeling that some junk files and some straggling registry entrys are the culprits.

I have cleaned up, defragged - virus checked all O K

I have successfully moved the files to other places , it is only when I try to send /drag/copy to memory stick folder that I get the message 'Item not found'

Questions: Can you move files from the memory stick to your computer? What kind of memory stick is it? Did it come with some other device such as a camera? Do you have a second stick just like the first one to cross check it? Did you try the stick in a different computer? The reason I'm asking is that some memory sticks like RAM can go bad, be bad when purchased and just fail over time. Also check your device manager to see if the card reader might have a porblem.

I agree, have you tested the stick to make sure it's working?

Thanks for the replies

I have now discovered it was a faulty memory stick - I'm new to all this so I automatically thought it was me !

I'm glad to here you found out what wrong. So how is the new stick working for you.

Thanks for the replies

I have now discovered it was a faulty memory stick - I'm new to all this so I automatically thought it was me !

Glad to see you got there in the end...

Post again if you need any further help....:)

Back