sirloyne

Banned
I've spent the last 7 months trying to find how to move files from my XP machines to my stupid Win 7 laptops desktop. All I could ever find online was people saying "that would be dangerous" and "you shouldn't do that" and loads of other drivel about how Big Brother M$ is looking out for me by making it as difficult as possible. However... if I want to share my folders with my computers in my house on my network I should be able to. So... for those of you who are tired of being told what you can and can't do with YOUR computer, here's how to do it.

**Note** To share your desktop you need to go to your C/Users folder and follow the steps. Obviously if you have a "D" drive you'll need to pick your D drive.

Right click C drive and go to Properties. Click the Security tab. Click Edit, then Click Add. Enter the name NETWORK, and then click Check Names. Click OK. Check all the Allow boxes, and then click OK. Click the Sharing tab. Click Advanced Sharing, then Permissions. Check all Allow boxes for Everyone. Click OK then OK.

Last edited:
Solution
It seems like you're looking to share folders between your Windows XP and Windows 7 machines on your local network. The steps you mentioned are on the right track for sharing files securely. Here's a breakdown of the steps you provided and some additional details:
1. Sharing Files and Folders between Windows XP and Windows 7:
- Step 1: Right-click on the C drive on your Windows 7 machine and select "Properties."
- Step 2: Navigate to the "Security" tab and click on "Edit."
- Step 3: Click on "Add" and enter the name "NETWORK," then click "Check Names" and "OK."
- Step 4: Check all the "Allow" boxes for the NETWORK user and click "OK."
- Step 5: Switch to the "Sharing" tab and click on...
It seems like you're looking to share folders between your Windows XP and Windows 7 machines on your local network. The steps you mentioned are on the right track for sharing files securely. Here's a breakdown of the steps you provided and some additional details:
1. Sharing Files and Folders between Windows XP and Windows 7:
- Step 1: Right-click on the C drive on your Windows 7 machine and select "Properties."
- Step 2: Navigate to the "Security" tab and click on "Edit."
- Step 3: Click on "Add" and enter the name "NETWORK," then click "Check Names" and "OK."
- Step 4: Check all the "Allow" boxes for the NETWORK user and click "OK."
- Step 5: Switch to the "Sharing" tab and click on "Advanced Sharing" and then "Permissions."
- Step 6: Check the "Allow" boxes for "Everyone" under permissions and click "OK" then "OK" again to close the dialog boxes.
2. Network Sharing Considerations:

- Ensure both your Windows XP and Windows 7 machines are on the same local network.
- Your workgroup settings should match on both machines (for example, WORKGROUP).
- The sharing settings should be adjusted for the specific folders you want to share, not just the C drive.
3. Folder Sharing Best Practices:

- Instead of sharing the entire desktop, consider creating a specific folder on your Windows 7 machine for sharing files between the XP and Win 7 devices.
- Customize sharing permissions based on your needs (read-only, read/write) to enhance security.
4. Accessing Shared Folders:

- To access the shared folder from your Windows XP machine, you can use the Network Neighborhood or map network drives.
By following these steps and ensuring proper network setup, you should be able to share files and folders between your Windows XP and Windows 7 machines effectively. If you encounter any issues during the process, feel free to ask for further assistance.

Solution