Windows 7 How to unsort processes in Windows Task Manager?

Richmilnix

I am in the midst of a several-day attempt to track down some strange behavior in Win7 Professional x64. My question today:

When I open Task Manager to the Processes tab, the entries are still sorted by the last selection I made (which in my case is User Name). I want to see the processes in the order in which they are activated (so I can leave it open and see what process loads right before the strange behavior begins), but I can't see any way to un-sort back to a chronological list.

I had installed Process Explorer, but it didn't seem to be showing me processes running in real time (as opposed to what I see, which is a very detailed history of launches, and I didn't think I could kill a process from within it, which just isn't convenient.

I see I can exclude Registry activity & other filters, so I'll start there.

You can do history of items, the color representation behind the processes in Process Explorer can be adjusted to show you history and items can be told to linger around after they terminate even. You can kill, and pause processes and do much more than Task Manager can, or ever will be able to do.

Options, Difference Highlight Duration - 9 Seconds
File, Show Details for All Processes (Invokes UAC to run PE as Administrator)
Right Click a process to Terminate, or Terminate Tree (for sub processes)

That should help you...

It sounds to me by the way that you tried Process Monitor, not Process Explorer, which is used to track file/registry changes made by processes. You want Process Explorer.

Back
Top Bottom