HYPER-V OS SELECTION

CanitoCool

Greetings and happy belated Christmas. I need experts on Hyper-V technology. Here is the problem I am having. I have a customer that works connecting his laptops to cars so they can be enhanced in the way the owner wants. Someone tried to install a software in his laptop and for some reason the laptop is now loading a OS SELECTION. One says HYPER-V ENABLED and the other HYPER-V DISABLED. That laptop never had that screen before. When I checked at PROGRAMS AND FEATURES nothing HYPER-V related is ticked in WINDOWS FEATURES. Is there a way to remove that OS SELECTION and revert it back to a normal Windows 11 boot loading? The other problem is that even if he select HYPER-V DISABLE when he run certain programs, now it says it can't be run under HYPER-V virtualization, when that never happened before. I will appreciate any help provided. Thanks in advance.
1703681272917.png

Hello and happy belated Christmas! I'd be happy to help you with your Hyper-V issue.

It seems like someone has enabled Hyper-V on your customer's laptop, which is causing the OS Selection screen to appear during boot-up. To remove this OS Selection screen and revert back to a normal Windows 11 boot loading, you would need to disable Hyper-V.

Since you mentioned that you couldn't find any Hyper-V related features enabled in Windows Features, it's possible that Hyper-V was enabled using an alternative method. In that case, you can try disabling Hyper-V using the command prompt.

Here are the steps to disable Hyper-V using the command prompt:

1. Open the Command Prompt with administrator privileges. You can do this by right-clicking on the Start button, selecting "Command Prompt (Admin)".

2. In the Command Prompt window, type the following command and press Enter:
```
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
```

3. Once the command executes successfully, you can close the Command Prompt window.

After disabling Hyper-V using the above steps, the OS Selection screen should no longer appear during boot-up, and your customer should be able to boot into Windows 11 directly.

Regarding the issue with certain programs not running under Hyper-V virtualization, this could be because those programs have specific requirements or limitations when running in a virtualized environment. Unfortunately, without more specific information about the programs, it's difficult to provide a precise solution. You may need to explore other alternatives, such as running the programs on a physical machine instead of a virtual one.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

I had performed the BCDedit command suggested and still the software says that it can't be run under Hyper-V, when everything Hyper-V related is off.

1703684554784.png

The program I am using to test if the Hyper-V still display this message when without Hyper-V active it use to run correctly.

Is this the host OS or a guest vm?
This is the first time I handle a problem like this in terms of a laptop with the Hyper-V feature, to be honest. I have no expertise on it. The closest thing as vm that I had handled as vm is VirtualBox. With that in mind, I can say is the host pc. Let's put it this way. Imagine you turn on your laptop and Windows 10 loads as usual. Then after someone claimed he installed the new software he needed it, he shuts down the laptop and the next day when he turns his laptop on, find that screen of hyper-v enabled and hyper-v disabled. He wants his laptop OS back to his normal operating way. That is something I am trying to helping him with, but I have no expertise with that kind of problem. Putting my heart on the answer to your question. And thanks for trying to help me out.

Last edited:
If you're physically powering on a computer then it's 'host' meaning it is the OS booting directly from the hardware as compared to a guest os which runs on the hyper visor layer (vmware, hyper-v, virtualbox etc).

If you select either entry does the system boot? If yes for both I would opt to use the Windows 10 Hyper-V. Select that option and you can simply remove the boot entry for the other.

Removing a boot entry from the BCD (Must have admin rights)
  • Open a terminal, cmd or powershell prompt as administrator (right click one of the aforementioned programs and select 'Run as Administrator'
  • Type bcdedit /enum
    • You will see one entry for 'Windows Boot Manger' this one should NOT BE DELETED
    • You will likely see two 'Windows Boot Loaders', the description should reflect your menu from the above screenshot
    • For the entry you wish to delete copy the identifier including the '{ }'
  • Type bcdedit /delete {long-identifier-number}

The menu should go away unless there is a value > 0 for timeout under the 'Windows Boot Manager' . You can either ignore or change the timeout.

Back
Top Bottom