Windows 10 I can ping and access from a pc to another only using ip addresses not hostnames

filograndipad2

Hi guys,
I have two desktop computers with Windows 10 Pro build 1803 connected to a switch and using static ip addresses:
a computer is called "Asia" and has this ip 192.168.1.1
the other computer is called "Europe" and has this ip 192.168.1.2
I can ping and access from "Asia" to "Europe" and vice versa only using ip addresses but not using host names. It's been a while that I had this problem. Anyone knows how to solve it? Thanks. Filo

Please open a Command Prompt and type in this command on both computers (then press Enter):

Code:
ipconfig /all

Please copy and post the output here.

what is the IP address of the router (gateway)? (normally the router/gateway should be 192.168.1.1)

why do you not use DHCP? (it is easier to administer IP addresses using DHCP)

Last edited:
change the IP address to 192.168.1.3 (or 192.168.1. 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 etc.) instead of 192.168.1.1 to see what happens

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies guys. Probably I have not been too much clear: the configuration has more than two years and it has never been touched. I have just two machines connected to a switch (there is a third cable for connecting them to Internet). The computers worked very well until few weeks ago and I don't know why now they act in this strange manner, perhaps due to a Windows update.
The gateway is 192.168.1.200
I've also tried to change the ip addresses on the machines but the issue still there: I can access and ping via ip addresses but not via host names.

I have just two machines connected to a switch (there is a third cable for connecting them to Internet).

Isn't the switch connected directly to the router? what do you mean by "a third cable"?

I can access and ping via ip addresses but not via host names.

Please do as I have already asked you,
open a Command Prompt and type in this command on both computers (then press Enter):

Code:
ipconfig /all

Please copy and post the output here.

You can also run these commands:

Code:
nslookup 192.168.1.1

Code:
nslookup 192.168.1.2

Code:
ipconfig /flushdns

Last edited:
The switch has 4 ports: two of 'em are for "Asia" and "Europe" computers, the third is used to connect an Adsl modem. I wrote the command you specified but nothing is changed. The output of ipconfig /all (for "Europe", for "Asia" is almost equal but ip address is 192.168.1.2) command is:

Nome host . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Europe
Suffisso DNS primario . . . . . . . . :
Tipo nodo . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Ibrido
Routing IP abilitato. . . . . . . . . : No
Proxy WINS abilitato . . . . . . . . : No

Scheda Ethernet Ethernet:

Suffisso DNS specifico per connessione:
Descrizione . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Indirizzo fisico. . . . . . . . . . . : -------------------------------- (hidden by me)
DHCP abilitato. . . . . . . . . . . . : No
Configurazione automatica abilitata : Sì
Indirizzo IPv4. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1(Preferenziale)
Subnet mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Gateway predefinito . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.200
Server DNS . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
NetBIOS su TCP/IP . . . . . . . . . . : Attivato

At the moment the only solution to this issue is to hardcoded into hosts file the ip addresses of the computers.

Bye

Are you intentionally using a 16 bit subnet mask? Most home networks default to 24 bit.

Please run these 2 commands and then try to ping host name again:

Code:
ipconfig /flushdns

Code:
ipconfig /registerdns

Please change DNS server to 192.168.1.200 so that the DNS server is the same as the Gateway and see if that helps.

what is your router/modem model?

I am asking this because if the router provides DHCP service you can provide static IP address by DHCP Reservation. Basically you set the router to always assign the same IP address to the same computer. This will make your administration easier in the future because you can assign both dynamic and static address from one place instead of going to each machine.

In most home networks there is no DNS server. You can use netbios, a hostfile or some SOHO routers allow for names to be manually entered in the web gui.

Back
Top Bottom