Windows 11 I finally decided that I would go ahead and install Upgrade to Windows 11 and...

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
It says my PC, which has about 10 times the minimum requirement, doesn't meet the minimum specification.
It upgraded my Tablet without ever checking, and it runs great.

I can't find the page I started the process on my laptop, it did the whole process online, I just said go ahead, and it started the process downloaded, installed restarted a few times with no input from me.

I wanted to do the same thing with my PC?

Does anyone know where that page is?

I think I found the problem, I have a small partition for Windows, not much anything else goes on it. I just saw that I need 60 gigs of free space and I only have 58.

I see if I can move a few things and see if that helps.

Well this is going to take a while, but I've gotten a lot of junk on that drive, I'll plan on trying to update tomorrow, and I'll spend today cleaning up my C:\ drive. I did get 61 Gigabytes free, but now I want to finish without carrying all this junk over.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi again...

OK, now I have 100 gigs of free space. It seems the problem is that my computer doesn't have TPM 2 active.
I finally found a method to activate it, I printed it out, there are 6 pages of instructions with photos, and it involves making changes in the Bios.

I guess it's not anything I can't handle, but I've never even heard of this before.

If anyone knows about this and why my computer doesn't have in activated, please let my know.
I'm not going to think about doing it until the weekend now, so any info would be appreciated.

Mike

updating your motherboard to allow TPM 2 via firmware is a disc roll, both in that it may fail [turn your system to a paperweight] and Microsoft may still reject it after the upgrade

if you go ahead with it, make sure your system has good power before starting as a blackout is the enermy

Hi, I'm back again,

I called Falcon Northwest, and they told my how to do it.
It worked, and it now says that the computer is compatible.

I did this before reading Norway's post. I might have thought about it if I hadn't, but it was pretty easy once I know where to look for it.

To Dusty, does the app that checks your computer for compatibility tell you why it won't upgrade?
My more than 3 year old laptop ungraded eminently, but my 3-year-old Falcon Talon took some work to get it to do so.

But it did tell my what the issue was each time I tried.

Finally worked through them all, and I'm going to try updating tomorrow.
I'll let you know how it comes out.

Hi, I'm back again,

I called Falcon Northwest, and they told my how to do it.
It worked, and it now says that the computer is compatible.

I did this before reading Norway's post. I might have thought about it if I hadn't, but it was pretty easy once I know where to look for it.

To Dusty, does the app that checks your computer for compatibility tell you why it won't upgrade?
My more than 3 year old laptop ungraded eminently, but my 3-year-old Falcon Talon took some work to get it to do so.

But it did tell my what the issue was each time I tried.

Finally worked through them all, and I'm going to try updating tomorrow.
I'll let you know how it comes out.
Yeah, something about my CPU sucks. I guess it is either being scammed by Apple or continued scamming by Dell; every Dell laptop I have had seems to be substandard or subpar. Hum, the price seems to be the same for an un-sucked version as a sucked version. ;):oops:

Hi again, again...

I couldn't wait, I updated, and it looks great on my 34" monitor. I like it that everything looks bigger and easier to see.
I just finished, but everything including my spellchecker seems to be working. It was painless and didn't really take very long, I didn't check the time, but I'd say about an hour or a little less.

I'm going to go and explore.

It feels fantastic to have a new OS after so long with Widows 10, which I didn't dislike, but always felt that it was making a lot of things harder.
This seems so far to be the way that I would have done it.

I'll report back in a few days after I've had the chance to really try it out.

I wonder if my old MS Visual Basic 5.0 compiler will work in Win 11? So far, MS has left enough open holes to install my old worn out programs; but they keep trying.

the app looks at all your system but really only tells you which parts are not fully upto date... then they offen want a Microsoft driver instead of the one from the maker

gratz on getting it up dated

Back