Windows 7 I NEED HELP WITH CONVERTING A LOT OF FILES.

lamija

hey i need help with converting a lot of files. there's a lof of files from my iphone and i need to convert those files to jpg or video. i tried by myself adding .jpg at the end but i cant add it to 15,000 files... and i dont know what's a video i dont want to convert it to jpg. so is there any program or site where i can convert them all and how to detect if something is a video.
Untitled.jpg

If it’s of any use, I can tell you how to rename them all to JPG in Windows 7:

1. Open Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder in question, hold down the Shift key, right-click on the folder name/icon and choose Open command window here. Now type ren *. * *.jpg and press Enter (note the two spaces in the command).

2. You could then sort them in size order and perhaps determine which are videos by their size.

EDIT On second thoughts, it might be a better and faster idea to split the files into two folders, making an educated guess at (using their size) which are JPGs and then do the bulk rename of the extension.

Last edited:
Iphone uses jpg as a standard extension so it might be best to check that the files do not already have the jpg file type set. Do you have your Windows set to show the file type? Go to control panel, folder options and make sure that "hide extensions for known file types" is unchecked. Then look at your file list to check if the files are already showing type jpg. Failing that then the suggestion given BurrWalnut is good - sort them into two folders based on file size and run a mass rename using a command prompt.

If it’s of any use, I can tell you how to rename them all to JPG in Windows 7:

1. Open Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder in question, hold down the Shift key, right-click on the folder name/icon and choose Open command window here. Now type ren *. * *.jpg and press Enter (note the two spaces in the command).

2. You could then sort them in size order and perhaps determine which are videos by their size.

EDIT On second thoughts, it might be a better and faster idea to split the files into two folders, making an educated guess at (using their size) which are JPGs and then do the bulk rename of the extension.
i didnt really understand the 'ren *. * *.jpg and press Enter (note the two spaces in the command).' part it says this
where do i add that

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 295
Firstly, I assume that the files don’t have an extension as per PatCooke’s post/suggestion.

I’ll explain the ren (RENAME) command in meticulous detail, but if you don’t understand it, I suggest you get someone to help you, in case things go wrong in the renaming:

1. Open Windows Explorer and when your folder name appears in the main listing, highlight it, hold down the Shift key, right-click on its name and choose Open command window here.
2. You should now have a black screen (command prompt) showing as per your screenshot. If your folder name is not showing alongside the prompt, you have opened the command prompt at the wrong location.
3. Now for the instructions to type alongside the > on the screen.
4. Type the word ren followed by a space followed by *.* followed by a space followed by *.jpg followed by pressing the Enter key.
5. The above command will rename everything (*.*) in the folder to *.jpg (i.e. adding .jpg to all the files).

Last edited:
Firstly, I assume that the files don’t have an extension as per PatCooke’s post/suggestion.

I’ll explain the ren (RENAME) command in meticulous detail, but if you don’t understand it, I suggest you get someone to help you, in case things go wrong in the renaming:

1. Open Windows Explorer and when your folder name appears in the main listing, highlight it, hold down the Shift key, right-click on its name and choose Open command window here.
2. You should now have a black screen (command prompt) showing as per your screenshot. If your folder name is not showing alongside the prompt, you have opened the command prompt at the wrong location.
3. Now for the instructions to type alongside the > on the screen.
4. Type the word ren followed by a space followed by *.* followed by a space followed by *.jpg followed by pressing the Enter key.
5. The above command will rename everything (*.*) in the folder to *.jpg (i.e. adding .jpg to all the files).
THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Back