Windows Vista I want to upgrade my desktop and I'm looking for advice

PatGorman

Hey guys, i bought my HP Compaq desktop in, roughly, 2008 and I think it's about time i upgrade it. Right now I'm running windows vista 32-bit OS. Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 at 1.8ghz. 2gb ram. Here's a link with all other specifications. I just don't know too much about computer hardware and would like some advice on where to start. I'd like my computer to be able to play high definition videos flawlessly and run complex games, which it has trouble with right now. I'm not worried about upgrading my hard drive as I've owned this computer for 6 years and only filled the HDD half way (not to mention external storage is dirt cheap). My budget is around $250. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

With your PC (hardware) is 6 years old and to achieve the performance you're asking for....you might be better off buying or building a new PC. IMO, your biggest downfall or bottle neck of your upgrade is your OS, being 32 bit, which dramatically hinders your RAM upgrade. The next issue is your CPU...dual core and 1.8ghz...so there goes your budget with just those 2 replacements. Then a decent GPU will run you around $150.....not sure what you mean by complex games. If you mean graphic intensive games...now your talking about a GPU in that $300 - $600 range.

I'm having a hard time trying to find a replacement CPU (new) for your 775 socket intel mobo. I see ebay has a bunch of used ones.....

The only thing I see upgrading for your current set up is: a stick of 1GB RAM PC2-6400 (which max's you out do the the 32 bit OS limitation) - $30 and a GPU...but your PSU (power supply unit) is only a 250 watt....which limits your GPU choice.

Again, IMHO, you'll spend to much on replacing your CPU, Mobo, PSU and GPU.....you might as well buy...or strongly recommend you building one.

Okay, that's kind of what I was fearing.. Thanks a ton for the advice. I started looking at some used PCs that don't have hard drives, and I think I could get something with decent specs for a reasonable price. What issues could you foresee if I wanted to pull my hard drive and throw it in a new PC? Also, I plan on upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit.

Well its not like its impossible to update such a machine, I would still add RAM and upgrade to a 64bit OS.
I mean you dont need a state of the art processor to game but if possible try a new gaming card which may help in the issue of bottlenecking.
If going to windows 7 that should be better performance wise on your machine,m but you may wish to disable aero to maybe get the desired result.
But I wouldn't high end game on it, you can still salvage if you aim for middle spec games.

Back
Top Bottom