Windows 7 IE8 will not work on Windows 7

miniyazz

Hi guys, wondered if you could help me with a little problem I'm having.

I need to install Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7 (64-bit, SP1).

An easy task, you might think.

Firstly, there's no download link for Windows 7 on the Microsoft Download page as apparently all Windows 7 installations already have IE8 installed. Mine doesn't - I have IE9, and on add/remove Windows components, IE9 is my only option.
Secondly, using the download link for IE8 for Vista x64 doesn't work, even when running with compatibility mode for Vista, the installation fails, for an unknown reason.
Thirdly, downloading the developer pack IEAK8 and using that to generate my own custom build of IE8 for Win7 failed because despite choosing the x64 option, it refuses to build anything except an x86 version, which of course won't run on my x64 OS.

I'm kinda running out of options here. There doesn't seem to be a version of IE8 available for Windows 7 - but surely developers etc must be able to install it for troubleshooting?.

In case anyone was wondering, I'm having difficulties with logging into a website using a vbscript - it used to work. On my old laptop I'd log in on IE and check the log in automatically button; my script would then automatically be logged in. On this one, the script is always rejected and returns only the login page, (and I can't figure out how to login with the script, I'm a bit of an amateur) and the only thing I can think of that might explain the difference is different cookie handling with IE8 - I gather session cookie privacy policy is quite a bit more broad than on IE9.

So yes, if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

Cheers in advance.

It was updated with SP1. Good news - I somehow glossed over the updates section. Uninstalling IE9 does indeed install IE8.

Thanks for the help :)

Back