Windows 10 igdkmd64.sys (yup, that one again)

Dmitheon

HI Everyone,

I saw the other threads on this, but they seem to be a bit different than my own issue as my PC isn't a laptop. It's a machine I put together a few years back. I installed Win 7 (64-bit) on it at the time and everything was fine for a long time. I upgraded to Win10 several month ago and after a time, I started getting the SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (igdkmd64.sys). I tried updating to the latest Intel drivers ( 15.33.43.64.4425) using Intel's Driver Update Utility 2.5, but the PC blue-screens during the install. It successfully does the audio driver, and bombs out when installing the HD Graphics 4000 driver. I tried that 3 times. I'm attaching my Diagnostic Dump. Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• W7F_11-07-2016.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 331
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff800c57c269a, ffffd000ae3b5978, ffffd000ae3b5190}

Probably caused by : igdkmd64.sys ( igdkmd64+1269a )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
your dump files are split into bugcheck D1, 3B and the above. All point to the graphics driver as the probable cause. The above bugcheck can also be generated by hardware issues such as bios incompatibility and memory conflicts.
First let's see if we can deal with the graphics driver.

Please download an application called Display driver uninstaller , unzip and pop the contents into a folder you've created. To use the DDU effectively you will need to boot into safe mode: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode
Once in safe mode find the folder containing the DDU app', run the DDU by right clicking on the exe and run as admin.

As it's the Intel driver we want you'll need to change the settings like thus:
DDU.jpg

Remember you'll be in safe mode.. :) Once the system has rebooted try installing this driver:
Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.33]

bcmwlhigh664.sys Tue Apr 19 08:13:08 2011: Broadcom 802.11 USB Network Adapter Driver please update:
Support | NETGEAR

HECIx64.sys Mon Jul 02 23:14:58 2012: Intel Engine Management driver please update:
Download Intel® Management Engine (Intel® ME) Software for Systems Based on 3rd Generation Intel® Processors or Above

iusb3hcs.sys Fri Jan 27 09:37:23 2012: Intel(R) USB 3.0 Host Controller Switch Driver. A later driver can be found here:
Download USB 3.0 Driver: Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver for Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family

iaStorV Intel RAID Controller Kernel 4/11/2011: Intel storage controller driver for both RAID and single drive set ups:
Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver

NTIOLib_X64.sys Mon Oct 05 02:28:48 2009: MSI Afterburner driver (known BSOD issues with Windows) Also found to be a part of MSI Live Update 5, MSI Super Charger & MSI Smart Utilities.
Please remove for duration of testing.

RTKVHD64.sys Mon Feb 06 10:37:16 2012: Realtek HD driver please update:
Realtek

scmndisp.sys Wed Jan 17 07:48:03 2007: Netgear Neutral Wireless Solution. This is too old for Windows 10 and needs updating:
Support | NETGEAR

If the blue screens continue consider updating the bios. Please do not attempt anything if your unsure of the process, just let us know and we'll advise you further.

BiosVersion = V10.5
BiosReleaseDate = 04/27/2012
SystemManufacturer = MSI
SystemProductName = MS-7751
SystemVersion = 2.0
BaseBoardManufacturer = MSI
BaseBoardProduct = Z77A-GD65 (MS-7751)
BaseBoardVersion = 2.0

Latest Bios version:
bios.JPG

Finally if after making all these changes the bsod still occurs we'll go on to test the RAM but we'll cross that bridge when or if we come to it.

Post any new dump files.

Hi Kemical,
Thanks for the feedback. I tried the DDU App and that seemed to work (log directory in the new Diagnostic Dump zip), however when installing the Intel Graphics drivers, that failed (image included in the new Diagnostic Dump zip). Following that I:
  • Updated the Broadcom 802.11 USB Network Adapter Driver
  • Updated Intel Engine Management driver
  • Tried the Intel(R) USB 3.0 Host Controller Switch Driver update, but when running set up, got a pop-up with the error; "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software.
  • The RAID driver didn't work either. instruction said to use Windows device manager to locate driver, but windows thougth my current driver was newer.:scratch:
  • For the MSI Afterburner driver, I couldn't find that installed, but I did find MSI Super charger and MSI Smart Utilities and uninstalled both of those. Hopefully that got it.
  • Updated Realtek HD driver.
  • Netgear Neutral Wireless solution. No idea what that is. I didn't see it in installed programs. Does it go by any other name?
After that I tried rebooting in safe mode again, tried the DDU again, rebooted and retried installing the intel graphic driver but it failed to install.

The I reran the Diagnostic Dump which I'm attaching.

The system hasn't bluescreened through this, but according to the Device Manager my Display Adapter is the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" so that isn't really great.

If updating the BIOS is the only option, let me know. I have not done that before so if you have a good primer on that, please point me in that direction.

Attachments

• W7F_12-07-2016.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 331
That driver (15.40) is for 4th and later generation Intel Core processors per the ReadMe, while mine is only 3rd generation. Considering it hasn't blue screened in the last several hours, is there any risk of just leaving it with the default Windows video drivers? I imagine it means it won't leverage the Intel HD Graphics 4000 on the chip, right?

4th and later generation Intel Core processors
Oops apologies, I thought it was for 3rd gen too.
Considering it hasn't blue screened in the last several hours, is there any risk of just leaving it with the default Windows video drivers
That shouldn't be an issue although Windows may at some point install a driver which if it causes problems you could just remove.

How oddly prescient. It's now stuck on a BSOD loop again. MS Updater says that it has two Intel driver updates, and is installing one so within a few minutes of starting Windows it blue-screens with that SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (igdkmd64.sys) error.

So basically, the bad driver is crashing on install. And since it isn't installed, I cannot remove it. Is there a way to clear it from Window Update's memory and ToDo list and make it so that it will never try to download a driver update again?

Sorry for the delayed update. Life keeps getting in the way.

I tried blocking the driver, and have met with minimal success. Windows update used to list 2 Intel HD Graphics updates. Going through these steps I was able to successfully hide one of them, but the other just won't go away. The Show/Hide update tool says it's successfully hidden the second and windows update keeps trying to get it. I tried following the direction to stop Windows from automatically downloading drivers, but the window I get from Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced System Settings -> Hardware tab -> Device Installation Settings. It mentions "manufacturers' apps and custom icons" but not drivers. Attaching screen shot.

I select No for that anyway, but Windows update keeps trying to download and install the driver update.

Attachments

• DoesNotMentionDrivers.png
    DoesNotMentionDrivers.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 427
I select No for that anyway, but Windows update keeps trying to download and install the driver update.
Yup I dislike the new changes myself as it removes control from the user. Whenever I did a clean install it would be the very first thing i would do, turn off the damned update section. I actually think win 10 is a great os apart from this which basically stinks.

This guide is a little more drastic although you could try the metered connection, see what you think:
How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates

Back