Windows 7 Improve boot times in Windows

In Windows Vista, 7 & 8, there is a little be known defrag function that can drastically improve boot times under certain circumstances.

If you open cmd and type defrag /?, you will see a list if available commands. However, there is a hidden one which is not shown and that is -b. This command will defrag the boot files of the drive, similar to the program available for Windows XP from Microsoft that did the same thing in much more detail. If you run that command, boot files and drivers will be placed in more optimal locations in the drive and you may see a drastic improvement in boot times.

summary: open cmd and type "defrag c: -b" and wait for the process I complete and then restart to see any improvements. I find this usually fixes any unexplainable lengthy boot cycles in computers with decent hardware,

Last edited:
Just tried this, but at first it didn't look as though it worked, because the only response was that it opened the options as though I had used the defrag /? command. I tried the reboot anyway, and it did seem a little better, but am not certain, because my boot times sometimes vary anyway.

I also installed an update a few days ago, that among other things is supposed to improve boot time:

An enterprise hotfix rollup is available for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

Not sure that it actually helped either, because while it did seem to shorten the time to login, the time from Windows start to the login screen was longer.

Back