Windows 7 In Defense of Vista!!

this is my older computer so its not the most up to date lol, i wouldnt trash my xp pro for a new operating system all willy nilly now

Windows Vista is a decent operating system that should be targeted for deployment on higher end hardware. Windows 7 has more potential than Vista because it uses system resources more efficiently and has a smaller memory trail. I'm not sure the drug references are convincing, but I'd prefer Windows Vista on my laptop over XP any day of the week. XP requires too much maintenance and constant patching - it is vulnerable to security problems and it is going the way of Windows 2000. This is a good analogy because I could very easily install Windows 2000 which will run very fast, but it can't support newer hardware, it has thousands of kernel level problems that were corrected in the XP and Vista kernels, and it isn't optimized for multi-core processors. Why take the risk of XP? I prefer Vista.

Very well put Mike.

Fair comment.

Also I realise Vista uses around 500megs more of ram but so what. If you have 4 gigs in your system memory(some of us are lucky enough to have more) it doesnt really make a difference. The thing is we all remember how bad Vista was when it first come out, so was XP. What Im saying is Vista hasnt just come out and most of its problems have been seen to and the thing works. Yet people are still unhappy with it. I would be interested to know if you are willing to turn your back on 7 7 so fast if and when it runs into problems.

Would I turn my back.... ? im not sure if your asking me this or not, but if so the answer would be a resounding no. The biggest issue here is most people don't see what is truly going on. People will bitch about vista being so bad, cause there sound card dont work.... People will bitch that Vista sucks, cause there printer dont work right. My AV program sucks up to much resources, so it must be Vista right?

This truly is one of the common denominators. You've got a weaker system, you have got an old printer, you have got a issue with drivers for that printer, etc etc..... So lets blame MS and Vista for this. Your over glorified boat anchor doesnt run well, so its Vistas fault. All this trashing, and bitching when so much of it is the vendors issue, human error or you just dont have a machine that can stand up to the times.

I mean how many times have we seen now "Vista Sucks" my sound card dont work? I mean come on folks.... Are you truly that childish? These type of people have continually bombarded the forums from one end to the next. And the sad thing about it is, it happened so much that people turned there heads to Vista even before they began to use it. Dont judge a book by its cover they say, well it's time people stop listening to those who jump ship in 1 hour and bitch when ever something new arrives and it gives them trouble. Use Google for christ sakes, there is a solution for everything out there. And for god sakes, quit blaming something that has nothing to do with the other.

Oh by the way I got a new ford truck and had new dunlop tires put on them. One of my tires is bad, ill get ford for this.... Ford sucks.... <----- and here is the mentality I speak of..grow up people....

I can understand that with your hardware

Well said..This is what i mean as my post above..... Vista sucks he says...... All the while ignoring the rig it was run on,. please, with all due respect, grow up.....

What next, You going to blame your next door neighbor when you fall off his borrowed ladder that you fell because his ladder sucked...

Hey datagg this is for you. I'm one of those guys who's sound card didn't work because drivers weren't available for Vista for a year after it came out. Next time, Microsoft can engineer a program that's compatible with hardware that's already out there. Microsoft kept juggling Vista around and developers didn't know what the final version of Vista would look like, so they couldn't and wouldn't develop drivers until after Vista was released.

I gave Vista a fair chance, but after two months of no pro grade sound card, I had to go back to XP. I had no choice. Onboard sound cards don't make the grade when trying to do professional quality music recording on a computer, they add noise, that you'd only hear when you're doing quiet recordings. Onboard sound cards are junk compared to pro quality cards. My Delta 1010 LT is a ten channel sound card designed for quality recording, and was fairly expensive. I'm not about to trash it because Microsoft designs an operating system that won't work with it. I'm not alone in this, ask any professional recording engineer which operating system they prefer for pro grade music recording, and most will tell you to go with XP.

Hey datagg this is for you. I'm one of those guys who's sound card didn't work because drivers weren't available for Vista for a year after it came out. Next time, Microsoft can engineer a program that's compatible with hardware that's already out there. Microsoft kept juggling Vista around and developers didn't know what the final version of Vista would look like, so they couldn't and wouldn't develop drivers until after Vista was released.

I gave Vista a fair chance, but after two months of no pro grade sound card, I had to go back to XP. I had no choice. Onboard sound cards don't make the grade when trying to do professional quality music recording on a computer, they add noise, that you'd only hear when you're doing quiet recordings. Onboard sound cards are junk compared to pro quality cards. My Delta 1010 LT is a ten channel sound card designed for quality recording, and was fairly expensive. I'm not about to trash it because Microsoft designs an operating system that won't work with it. I'm not alone in this, ask any professional recording engineer which operating system they prefer for pro grade music recording, and most will tell you to go with XP.

My SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty also had problems with Vista. There were no working drivers same problem as you. I have to ask, whos fault is that? Creatives or Microsofts?

Another point Windows 7 owes a lot to Vista. It just wouldnt be where its at already without it

To what end sir........ Are all new things made today and into the future supposed to support your old setup. is this how you feel in life too, that all new things are supposed to work with your older setups... That new fancy remote is supposed to work with your older tv.......... Please, give me break for god sakes..... Im sorry, but that mentality is of the charts man.... i cant even think of what else to say on it...... ridiculous...\

And by the way.... Vista code was out months prior to its release, so spare me the crap on that.... The problem was companies didn't want to put effort into making drivers and that was there excuse..... Beta 1 up to rc's had drivers ready to go for AV programs and much more..these companies took the time to make drivers as they had the code...... Some didn't care (creative to name a few), so here we blame Vista for that.... Grow up...

My SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty also had problems with Vista. There were no working drivers same problem as you. I have to ask, whos fault is that? Creatives or Microsofts?

Microsoft takes the heat because they designed an operating system that was incompatible with existing hardware. If I would have known it was going to take a year for drivers to be developed, I wouldn't have rush out to buy Vista. Most third party manufacturers don't have the resources Microsoft does, so keeping up with Microsoft, can be a costly thing for manufacturers. I was thinking Vista's compatibility program would work with my sound card, but it didn't. Microsoft has to put out products that are compatible with what's out there. Luckily, Windows 7 IS compatible with my hardware and my important software, so Windows 7 looks like a winner to me.

This W7 beta trial period is perfect for me, as I can test out the hardware and software BEFORE I buy W7. So far, it's looking really good !!

To what end sir........ Are all new things made today and into the future supposed to support your old setup. is this how you feel in life too, that all new things are supposed to work with your older setups... That new fancy remote is suppoed to work with your older tv.......... Please, give me break for god sakes..... Im sorry, but that mentality is of the charts man.... i cant even think of what else to say on it...... ridiculous...

OLD Hardware ??? What do you know...nothing. That sound card was only 6 months old when Vista came out. It's a professional grade sound card, there's 1000's of them out there, and Vista rendered them all useless.

Here's a picture of it.....

Microsoft takes the heat because they designed an operating system that was incompatible with existing hardware. If I would have known it was going to take a year for drivers to be developed, I wouldn't have rush out to buy Vista. Most third party manufacturers don't have the resources Microsoft does, so keeping up with Microsoft, can be a costly thing for manufacturers. I was thinking Vista's compatibility program would work with my sound card, but it didn't. Microsoft has to put out products that are compatible with what's out there. Luckily, Windows 7 IS compatible with my hardware and my important software, so Windows 7 looks like a winner to me.

This W7 beta trial period is perfect for me, as I can test out the hardware and software BEFORE I buy W7. So far, it's looking really good !!

Yeh but Windows 7 didnt even have working drivers for my optical drives when I first installed it. lol you have to do registry hack to get them working.

That sucks that the drivers were not ready for a year after the Vista release, but what do you expect Microsoft to do about it? Write their own drivers for your high end sound card? It is unfortunate that not all hardware manufactures can keep up with Windows and in some cases you are better off sticking with what works. But I dont think that M$ is to blame because there was no driver support for your hardware.

Yeh but Windows 7 didnt even have working drivers for my optical drives when I first installed it. lol you have to do registry hack to get them working.

That sucks that the drivers were not ready for a year after the Vista release, but what do you expect Microsoft to do about it? Write their own drivers for your high end sound card? It is unfortunate that not all hardware manufactures can keep up with Windows and in some cases you are better off sticking with what works. But I dont think that M$ is to blame because there was no driver support for your hardware.

What did I expect Microsoft to do ?? Let us know that current hardware doesn't work with their new OS. They touted their compatibility program, that was supposed to make everything that was compatible with XP, compatible with Vista....... Sorry but it didn't work out that way.

What did I expect Microsoft to do ?? Let us know that current hardware doesn't work with their new OS. They touted their compatibility program, that was supposed to make everything that was compatible with XP, compatible with Vista....... Sorry but it didn't work out that way.

Fair enough. I went through it too. Like you said earlier about the beta testing. Hopefully this is the standard now so we can all be sure our hardware/software works before we buy.

OLD Hardware ??? What do you know...nothing. That sound card was only 6 months old when Vista came out. It's a professional grade sound card, there's 1000's of them out there, and Vista rendered them all useless.

Here's a picture of it.....

And they didn't work after a year either.. who's fault is that...? by the way, i own a SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty and never had issues with it, even in Vista beta.....

Im done with this issue, it could and would go on forever. Reasoning with people with the mentality like this is like waiting for paint to dry .

Now let me go call up ford and bitch & express my sheer hatred for them in all the forums I can find because my Pep Boys seat covers didn't fit right...

Well, the sound card works now, who's fault is that ?? M-Audio's for taking the time and spending the money to develop new software that will work with Vista. This time around Microsoft got the compatibility program working right, as my Vista drivers do indeed work with Windows 7.

Well, the sound card works now, who's fault is that ?? M-Audio's for taking the time and spending the money to develop new software that will work with Vista. This time around Microsoft got the compatibility program working right, as my Vista drivers do indeed work with Windows 7.

So you had to install them in compatibility mode for Vista?

Back