Windows 7 In Gods name will W7 stop locking up on me after leaving it alone for a few 20 minute

epk1950

Banned
Windows 7 will not lock up on me if I am constantly moving the mouse or doing something like being active on the PC, if I leave the pc, as if it knows I am away from it and locks the frick up.

I have max performance set for power plan I have disabled everything goes to sleep or hibernation etc.
I have indexing disabled.
When I came back as found it locked up, I noticed on my Drive Activity Gagdet was at full blast as im looking at it now its at full blast. I bet if i left it alone it will lock up.
But here is a screenshot of right now.
Please anything?

Last edited:
Check your power settings and make sure it is not going to sleep after 20 minutes. I had problems similar and set sleep for NEVER. Make sure you have a screen saver that kicks in before 20 minutes of inactivity.

Check your power settings and make sure it is not going to sleep after 20 minutes. I had problems similar and set sleep for NEVER. Make sure you have a screen saver that kicks in before 20 minutes of inactivity.

Yup all is disabled like above and I checked screensaver and its disabled as well.

I knew about the hdd going to sleep after 20 minutes and locking pc up but i disabled all in High Performance advance power options when I reinstalled W7 a day ago.

Any other idea's?

MMhMMM

Found out why I am having Lockups...

Guru3D.com Forums - View Single Post - 190.38 WHQL available

190.xx nvidia drivers+Windows 7, was using 190.62, so I reverted to 186.91 version see if i have lockups from now till w/e.

Another thing that I noticed that actually lead me to the solution was in window7 logs.

Event ID The NVIDIA Display Driver Service service has reported an invalid current state 32.

did a little google-ing came across the thread above.

1. So I fixed and got rid of that error by downloading drive sweeper <<<omfg Awesome utility to use . Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

2. I uninstalled the 190.62 Nvidia display driver.

3. Installed driver sweeper "Highly Recommend" ticked nvidia display driver analyzed "holy crap what was left over" then clicked clean "removed alot left over crap" it ask to reboot so i did.

4. Checked the Event Logs, No error, cuz no nvidia files folders left over anymore.

5. Installed 186.91, rebooted checked the time that the system booted up from my watch, checked the Event Logs to match any time frame up, No More Error. Before reason why I checked time is this is cool windows 7 gives a time and date when and if an error occurs. <<Like That Feature.
186.91 Nvidia Driver win7 64 ForceWare 186.91 WHQL Win 7 | Vista (64-bit) download from Guru3D.com

So I scream at NVIDIA Fix this Crap.

By the way I formatted like 3 times and it was all because of the damn Nvidia driver grr:eek::mad::cool::rolleyes:

I would advise that you ditch all of your gadgets for now... paticularly the "Network Meter". I tested it months ago and found it to cause high I/O activity.

Use SysInternels AutoRuns, free from Microsoft Technet - http://live.sysinternals.com/autoruns.exe

Download it and save it to Desktop. RIGHT-click on desktop icon, select "Run as admin". Let it scan registry (status on bottom-left of screen - about 25 secs), then click on "Sidebar Gadgets" tab, un-check all boxes.

Re-boot or use TaskManager to KILL the sidebar.exe app.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

I would advise that you ditch all of your gadgets for now... paticularly the \"Network Meter\". I tested it months ago and found it to cause high I/O activity.

Use SysInternels AutoRuns, free from Microsoft Technet - http://live.sysinternals.com/autoruns.exe

Download it and save it to Desktop. RIGHT-click on desktop icon, select \"Run as admin\". Let it scan registry (status on bottom-left of screen - about 25 secs), then click on \"Sidebar Gadgets\" tab, un-check all boxes.

Re-boot or use TaskManager to KILL the sidebar.exe app.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Alright I'll give er a shot, un checking em is same as uninstalling all gadgets?
I am fine with it, Seems like I resolved a few Event ID's occurring with the nvidia steps but did not solve the system lockup, I had another lockup while using Firefox, So after the crash, I booted up and took your advice and used it, will see Hope it works.

That autoruns is a cool Program.
Thank you for your advice and link to autoruns.

I will report back if this has helped or not.

Hi -

When you un-check the box in AutoRuns for a gadget, the corresponding registry key is placed in another registry key called "AutoRuns Disabled". You can then re-check a box at any time. The way that I found the Network gadget had a propensity to hog CPU & HDD I/O was by bring up SysInternals Process Explorer along side AutoRuns and going through the gadgets 1-by-1.

Note the user names under the "Users" tab - including the infamous NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.

I don't know whether the gadgets hold the answer here or not. I looked at the screen shot and thought back to the bad experience that I had.

If you liked AutoRuns, there are 70+ more free apps available -- all included in the SysInternals Suite. Those without a GUI must be executed from the command prompt (elevated admin level). All of the apps are stand-alone executables so no installation is required. Mark Russinovich, TechNet, updates the apps frequently.

SysInternals Suite - Sysinternals Suite

Live SysInternals - live.sysinternals.com - /

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Windows 7 lock-ups

Well it is nice to know that i am not the only one with the "lock-up" problems with Windows 7.
I have been fighting this nag for a few days now..Testing many variations to solve this beta problem
and get things running smoothly as things should be on a freshly formatted/fresh installed OS.
Here are some specs of my system:
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: GeForce 8800 GT
Manufacturer: Nvidia
Memory: 512
In which I am running dual video cards w/ SLI Mode Enabled
Ok here's the deal...I am currently running FLAWLESS With-out any Video drivers installed..Other than the Default
drivers used with Windows 7 on first boot after fresh install..
And have not had any Freeze/Lock-ups whatsoever..So I have narrowed it down to Definitely being a video
display driver issue...I just recently uninstalled the most current 64-bit Nvidia driver:
191.07_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql
I used as suggested in an earlier post a program called: DriverSweeper_2.0.5-[Guru3D.com] to completely remove all
Nvidia Display Drivers including all PhysicX drivers as-well.

Next I am attempting to install an earlier vers. of Drivers... : 186.91-whql-Win7Vista-64-[Guru3D.com]
I know some of this may have been previously discussed. And I am sorry if I am being to thorough but I am trying to help myself as-well as others with these same problems/questions by showing in detail my system specifications and what is working for me thus far. If you are reading this and you are having the same issues with Windows 7 Lock-ups or have no issues as such posted but have solution/s please feel free to jump in and help out...I would greatly appreciate it...
Thanks for your time and patience.... :)

Note:I am running the latest DirectX as-well.

Last edited:
Windows 7 lock-ups update thus far...

Well it's been 40 minutes give or take.. With the Older vers. 0f (186.91-whql-Win7Vista-64) Nvidia drivers..
All seems well thus far..... I will update the outcome of the night.... If I don't throw my machine out the window before then..!!:D

The older version runs longer. It lasted for a few hours last night but was locked-up again when I checked it this morning...
Any ideas from anyone who has had similar issues with Windows 7 would be greatly appreciated......

195.39_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_beta Seems to be holding up fairly well...It locked up once when I first
installed the driver but all is well for the moment. Been running free from lock-ups most of the day.. I'll keep you posted for those who even care..... cheers!

Last edited:
I forgot to mention after all of this I have been running XP Pro x86 version forever... This is the first attempt at running
a 64-bit version of Windows. I updated all drivers and tweaked all power saver options and I am about to give up on Win 7. The lock-ups are minimal but still a nag! I have a copy of XP Professional x64 that I am about to try if I can't remedy this problem very soon... And then maybe just wait until there are more updates made ready and Windows 7 is not still in beta mode so to speak... *sigh*

Check this out,

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-discussion/21019-list-everything-you-disable-windows-7-a.html

even after having a nvidia, owning an ati card, my freezing kept on like the energizer bunny no joke, created a post with a link above with alot of stuff that Member's, have listed of what they disabled, I went through it all, I dunno which one fixed it but I am not having nemore freezing, check out tblount's "blogs" as well with some list of stuff to disable, read the entire thread n choose what you like to disable, hope it helps as it helped me thanks to the members as well.

Well it seems that my Video drivers were not the issue after all.... UGH!! My power supply went out a couple days after my last post about going back to XP Pro..... And I can safely say that the lock up issues I had in the past were not related to
any power setting scheme, screen saver mode..Or Nvidia drivers...... I am running Windows 7 Professional smoothly for 2 days now and not 1 lock-up (knock on wood) lol.... Anyway just for the record... I was running a 420 watt Power supply and The new replacement is a 750 watt......Anyone else that might be having lock up issues.... Could never hurt to check your Power Supply!! cheers!

Really?

After all that, its the psu. well thats cool its all good now, what psu have you picked out?

The older version runs longer. It lasted for a few hours last night but was locked-up again when I checked it this morning...
Any ideas from anyone who has had similar issues with Windows 7 would be greatly appreciated......

Be patient.. I see in my updae log that Msft has sent me new graphics drivers 3 times over the last few days. They probably know and are working on it. Keep updating.

New PSU

Really?

After all that, its the psu. well thats cool its all good now, what psu have you picked out?

Yeah I took the psu out and had it tested at this local pc parts store close to where I live and it tested completely dead!
The psu I replaced it with is a Ultra LSP 750 Lifetime Series with a 135mm fan which is a monstrous fan.... Plus it has two 6 pin
output plugs for dual video cards...My old psu did not... All the cables attached to it are bound in sleeved mesh and have a black matte finish.. I am pleased with it thus far..... cheers!!

Back
Top Bottom