ibuprophen

Hello... I am hoping there is something out there that will enable me to either auto or manually backup and restore all the "Windows Update" downloaded updates that are located in my "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\" folder (and Sub-Folders).

I know Windows has a "Backup & Restore" feature in it but that is a feature a am not too happy with for oddball reasons so i am in search of a program/software to accomplish this. The "copy, burn and paste" way was one of the tried procedures i had performed before but, this is a real pain in which it accomplishes the mission (though an effective way).

I am hoping the program/software (if there is one) is effective and OS friendly.

I have Windows 7 Professional SP1 and i consider myself a "Jack of all Trades but, Master of none" when it comes to Various Software & Hardware support. I am self taught in most ways and educated in some. I began my interest a million years ago with the Tandy TRS-80 and the Apple Macintosh (in school) and my first computer was the Commidore VIC-20, 5 1/4" Floppy Drive and Okidata's Okimate Thermal Printer (i know many of the fellow old-timers would be blasted back by that LMAO!!!).

Ok then... I am hoping for some real friendly and constructive advice..

Thanks a bunch everyone :redface:

Solution
It's great to hear about your journey through the evolution of computing! Your experience with different systems is impressive, stretching all the way back to the Tandy TRS-80 and Commodore VIC-20. When it comes to backing up and restoring Windows Update downloaded updates located in the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\" folder, there are a few ways you can approach this. One method involves using third-party software for more control and efficiency. Here are some options:

1. Using Third-Party Backup Software:

• EaseUS Todo Backup: This software provides comprehensive backup solutions, including system backup, disk/partition backup, file backup, and more. It offers a user-friendly interface and various backup...
It's great to hear about your journey through the evolution of computing! Your experience with different systems is impressive, stretching all the way back to the Tandy TRS-80 and Commodore VIC-20. When it comes to backing up and restoring Windows Update downloaded updates located in the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\" folder, there are a few ways you can approach this. One method involves using third-party software for more control and efficiency. Here are some options:

1. Using Third-Party Backup Software:

• EaseUS Todo Backup: This software provides comprehensive backup solutions, including system backup, disk/partition backup, file backup, and more. It offers a user-friendly interface and various backup options, giving you the flexibility to choose what to back up and restore.
  • Macrium Reflect: Another popular choice for creating disk images and backup schedules. It allows you to back up individual files, folders, or entire partitions, offering both free and paid versions with advanced features.
  • Acronis True Image: Known for its reliable backup and recovery features, Acronis True Image offers a range of backup options, such as full disk images, file backups, and cloud backups.

2. Manual Backup and Restore Method:

If you prefer a more manual approach, you can use Windows built-in tools like Command Prompt (robocopy) or PowerShell to copy the contents of the "SoftwareDistribution" folder to a backup location, and then restore them when needed.

3. Scripting Solution:

You could also create a custom script using batch files or PowerShell to automate the backup and restore process. This method gives you more control over the backup operation.

Note:​

• Always create a backup before making changes.
    • Ensure the backup software you choose is compatible with Windows 7 Professional SP1.
    Feel free to explore these options and choose the one that best fits your requirements. If you need further guidance on any particular method or tool, feel free to ask!

Solution
Back