Windows 7 Inconsistent BSODs on New Rig

commonSENSE

Hello everyone,

A few days ago I finished my first computer build. The process went smoothly until I installed Windows 7 and began to receive repeated blue screens. The BSODs have occured in various situations such as: while attempting to update drivers, while installing Microsoft Security Essentials and during restarts. The problem is inconsistent and has caused various blue screen error codes that I cannot pinpoint (0x24, 0x3b, 0x34, 0x7e, 0x0a, 0xd1, 0x19). Within the last three days, my computer has blue screened 15 times :frown:.

As of now my drivers are up to date. I've also run chkdsk and memtest86+, but have yet to discover an error (in memtest86+ I tested my two RAM sticks individually and let it run for more than one pass).

My parts list consists of...

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870
Mobo: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3
RAM: G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
PSU: SILVERSTONE ST50F-ES 500W
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB
ODD: ASUS 24X DVD Burner

I've also attached the two latest minidumps. Hopefully, I've provided enough information to help solve this issue. I want to use my new computer!

Thanks

Attachments

• 020712-29094-01.zip
    42.8 KB · Views: 156
Hi commonSENSE and Welcome to The Forum.

Please see: How to ask for help with a BSOD problem Following Method 2:
Download
and run the SF Diagnostics Tool. Right click the SF Diag tool and select Run as Administrator before running. When the reports have been created, zip them up and attach to a post.

Download and run CPU-Z. Take screenshots**/snips of the CPU tab, Mainboard tab, Memory tab and all the slot #'s under the SPD tab.
Go to Post Reply, click on the Go Advanced button and attach the screenshots**/snips to your post for all the RAM experts to see by using the paper clip you will find on the top toolbar. Do not zip them up.
If screenshots, please crop.

Also see: http://windows7forums.com/blue-scre...lp-us-help-you-filling-your-system-specs.html

Thanks for the reply Elmer,

Here is the requested information. I've attached the SF Diagnostics Tool zip and the CPU-Z snips. My profile has also been updated.

Attachments

• Seven Forums.zip
    377.1 KB · Views: 275
  • cpu tab.JPG
    cpu tab.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 251
  • mainboard tab.JPG
    mainboard tab.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 329
  • memory tab.JPG
    memory tab.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 310
  • spd slot1.JPG
    spd slot1.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 345
  • spd slot2.JPG
    spd slot2.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 358
  • spd slot3.JPG
    spd slot3.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 371
  • spd slot4.JPG
    spd slot4.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Hi again.

There's a thread here http://windows7forums.com/blue-scre...d-shut-down-minidump-attached.html#post247393 that I'd like you to look at. Paying particular attention to the references re the eTron drivers in the posts by Trouble (start at post #4).

Obviously go to the right page for your MoBo. CHANGE OF HEART!!! Get the eTRON drivers from the link in the above linked thread. ASRock haven't updated them yet!!

Also in your latest upload, for some reason we (two of us) are getting errors trying to open the dmp files. Could you please Copy the .dmp files from the minidump folder to a new folder on your desktop. Zip up that folder and attach to a post.

Last edited:
I'll check out the thread you posted. In the meantime here is the minidump zip. Hopefully, it is accessible this time.

EDIT: I picked up the eTRON driver from the link you provided. However, I further compared the version numbers of the remaining drivers between the Gigabyte and ASRock site and most of ASRock's drivers seem to be outdated. How should I proceed? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    402.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
This is just a quick answer before I shot off out so excuse brevity. Those dmp files appear to be OK. Thanks.

I've an ASRock MoBo so I'm in the same boat as you. We can sort the other drives direct from the Mfr. etc..

For a start use the Intel® Driver Update Utility (in Internet Explorer gives me the best results). See what updates that advises are available.

I just checked out the Intel Driver Utility...

Current Drivers

• Graphics Driver
  • Wired Networking
---
"Valid" Drivers (not sure why it says valid rather than current)

• Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (Chipset INF)
---
Unknown/Unsupported Devices

• Audio Driver
  • Wireless Networking
---
Also, any luck on the dmp files?

Last edited:
Sorry Dude, I got tied up all yesterday (life eh??). Will look at your dumps when I get in tonight.

Apart from the thread I pointed you to, with the possible eTRON driver issue, the rest of your drivers look pretty good.

Last two dmp files show:

STOP 0x00000034: CACHE_MANAGER
Usual causes:
Insufficient physical memory, Indexing, Device driver.

Do you use indexing?? If you do, turn it off / disable it for now.

Then run Memtest to make sure your RAM is up to the task. I've no doubt it is, but need to remove the variables.
Run Memtest86+ overnight, after your computer has been off for about an hour or two so it has a cold start. Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test.
Note!! Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Test RAM sticks individually. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.

I used Memtest86, following your instructions and the guide, but no errors appeared. (I was kind of hoping the RAM was the problem; that would have been an easy fix lol). I also turned off indexing, however, I am still getting blue screens.

Well, that at least may save you spending a few pounds. If and when you blue screen can you attach the new ones please?

Oddly enough, I may have found the problem. I looked through the event viewer critical/error listings and saw that MSE was mentioned as having failed. I removed it and have been on the computer for five hours blue screen free (my longest run yet). I'm not sure if my streak will last, but have you ever encountered Microsoft Security Essentials being the cause of such a problem?

EDIT: And just as I posted this, it crashed :frown:. I'll post the files soon.

Last edited:
Here's the dmp file. This crash occured just as I was logging into SWTOR for the first time.

Attachments

• 021112-21356-01.zip
    15.6 KB · Views: 149
Back